Lobster Trap Mystery and Recent Images.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a small kelp bed near the Interpretive Center that I knew about for years but never checked out because the Pt. Vicente Pinnacles, Hawthorne Reef and Underwater Arch are adjacent. When we finally decided to explore it we found several species of nudibranchs that we don't see often around P.V. There aren't many fish there despite it being just outside the boundary of the MPA but it was still a fun little spot, hence the name. I'm sure that somewhere in the deep off Marineland lies Robarge Reef waiting to be discovered. :)

Those aren't lobster traps.

They are part of a scientific survey of rarely observed "Brickfish."

Those aren't lobster traps.

They are part of a scientific survey of rarely observed "Brickfish."

Close, I would bet that they are markers for a survey area, otherwise it would be hard to make sure you were counting in the same study area. At the time they were put in I'll bet old lobster traps and bricks were cheap.

I've run across them in the NorCal area on occasion.

Bob

Close, I would bet that they are markers for a survey area, otherwise it would be hard to make sure you were counting in the same study area. At the time they were put in I'll bet old lobster traps and bricks were cheap.

I've run across them in the NorCal area on occasion.
Bob

I used to work on the next tiny palm-tree island over from a Smithsonian reseach station.

We naturally educated our divers about preserving the pristine reef, but then they'd be horrified by the acres of abandoned and calcified crap on the bottom all around the lab.

Thanks Phil! I'll settle for my ol' Don's Rock at OML ;~) Very curious about the nature of those(now reefing) traps?? We have friends at DFG... maybe make a call?? Be Safe Out There!

Chris Grossman has seen brick filled traps as a way to plant juvenile abalone. We'll have to take a closer look next time.

Makes good sense Merry! From microscopic to juvenile takes about 2-4 years, they would be about 2" by then and might need to be released?? Nice to hear so near the MPA ;~)

Back
Top Bottom