lobstering from shore in the keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gameaholic

Reaction score
Hello all I am planning on taking my family to the Fl Keys for the mini season this month. My wife and I dive but our kids would like to try thier hand at lobstering. Is there anywhere to snorkel in the keys that has reefs in a depth and place that lobstering is allowed? ty

There was a time when that was true. People who moved to the keys swore off lobster after gorging themselves too many times. A diver could get a bag full right off the dock. The rules on spearfishing restrict access near shore. Don't know about bug rules. They have special seasons and regular seasons in Florida. Check out the hotels with docks on the north side, the sound. Sometimes there are bugs right under the hotel dock, or there used to be. Key West is overpopulated zoo. Getting bugs used to be easy under some of the govt docks (dolphin pens) but this is not a family adventure. They probably changed all those places to parks anyway. Try hotels or locations between Marathon and Key West.
Pesky

gameaholic:
Hello all I am planning on taking my family to the Fl Keys for the mini season this month. My wife and I dive but our kids would like to try thier hand at lobstering. Is there anywhere to snorkel in the keys that has reefs in a depth and place that lobstering is allowed? ty

If you can get on the military base, they have an excellent snorkeling area around the marina where I saw many lobster!!!

There are some bomb holes in the Spanish Harbor area (near Big Pine Key) that are no more than 10 feet deep. Of course, the amount of time it takes to catch a bug makes doing it snorkling a real challenge to do on a single breath. Good luck.

lobstering within 300 yards of shore is now illegal in the keys, might wanna be careful doing something like that because FL Keys law enforcement does not play around.

UCF would you please put up the source of your no lobstering within 300 feet of shore

Aquaticassassin:
UCF would you please put up the source of your no lobstering within 300 feet of shore

Ok I wasnt sure where i got it the first time so im just gonna post a link to an article in the sun sentinel which is the local south florida newspaper. if you scroll down to the bottom it will talk about Monroe Co. Sherriffs enforcing the new regulation prohibiting lobstering within 300feet from shore. This rule only applies in Monroe County. One wacko woman even decided to enforce the rule herself and fired a couple rounds at divers in the canal behind her house! I hope this helps, if not you may want to try the state or county
websites?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...g03,0,6870139.story?coll=sfla-sports-outdoors

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom