Looking for a REAL dive ladder for my boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman:
Broken ladders. The problem has been solved. I drew a picture
of a 5' ladder arched at the top like a swimming pool ladder. A boat standoff like a "U". Took it to the MaxiMuffler shop. They made me the ladder for $100 out of 1 1/4" exaust pipe. It weighs about 20 lbs. The open ends of the arched top slip over 3" x 1 1/4" pipe nipples screwed into floor flanges. When I'm through diving I just unscrew them. It's big, strong and absolutely won't break. It's even got extensions so I can make it as long as I want. I sprayed it with Rusoleum non slip spray in bright yellow.

That's a great idea, although telescoping is more of what I am looking for. Yes yes yes... I know what all you guys are saying... he wants his cake and eat it too! Well YES!

zboss:
That's a great idea, although telescoping is more of what I am looking for. Yes yes yes... I know what all you guys are saying... he wants his cake and eat it too! Well YES!

You can telescope this kind of ladder, but not completely. I have a 1" section of ladder that slips inside the 1 1/4 section.
You can also take it out as you could any other smaller sections. They go back in and lock in place by two 1 3/4" stainless steel 1/4" bolts.
Maybe you could use a hinge system so that the ladder folds up and then flolds down for use? This is a good problem to occupy my time here at what we call "work."

Zboss, if you are looking for telescoping, the Windline
telescopes. Three sections, then folds on top of the
swim step. Looks like West Marine now sells this ladder
under their own name: p/n 7497045, page 754 in the
2004 catalog, $110.

Chuck Tribolet:
I have had a Windline on TDL-3X on my Boston Whaler for about 700 dives. Still going
strong. There's a picture at http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/whaler/

I have the same ladder on my 17' Shamrock... nice ladder, but not (imo) for climbing in full scuba. I doff my scuba unit in the water and clip it off to a line prior to climbing out.

I've done exits both ways (with and without scuba) and the ladder is plenty strong... but on the small side for scuba exits.

I'm a relative lightweight, but I am concerned about stress to the outer edge of of my teak swim platform (where the ladder hinges are attached) and the possibility of injury when a 300 pound diver with 60 pounds of gear on his back starts up the tiny thing.

EXACTLY! there are NO good "small boat" dive ladders - custom built or other wise. I also use a "tag-line" . I hook it to the bow eye and let it trail back to about 10 ft behind the stern. It's also hooked to the stern cleat so that it hangs just above the water line. I have a large brass "suicide clip" looped into the line about two feet back from the stern. I also have one of those plastic milk crates with a couple of dive weights zip-tied to the bottom to keep it from floating hanging off the stern. I come up from a dive, hit the 100' safety line (bouy on end) pull myself up to the stern, drop my weight belt in the basket (yeah -I still wear a belt....) hook the clip to my vest, come out of my whole rig, climb up onto my little swim / dive platform...and I'm in the boat. The line to the bow also doubles as a line that I use to pull myself forward to follow the anchor line down when I begin my dive....

If your really serious ....

http://www.techdivetools.com/

these guys make serious ladders. Scroll down the ladder page and it looks like they make ladders for smaller boats.

If you want to climb in the boat with full gear, telescoping or fold up ladders are just not going to hold up. If you are handy at all you can get a really heavy weight stainless steel ladder from the scrap yard, look for old motorhomes they usually have some that that are very well made. Just cut it down and re-fit the mounts to your needs. I have made several this way and the scrap yard gave me the ladders for free or just a few bucks.

11760225_1004806646220461_6646997780497579677_n.jpg 10330516_1134183146616143_7604757398389213948_n.jpgI am a fan of the diy ladder, I will get a better pic tomorrow, A little aluminum and some thought and you can come up with some good ideas. Just always remember to flip the ladder up before backing the trailer.

Back
Top Bottom