Looking for buddy for cave diving at my gambier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hweijie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, we are from Singapore. My buddies and I would be at my gambier from 5 to 10 Aug. It is our first time here and we are very excited. We just gotten our CDAA cave. Unfortunately as a visitor we would need CDAA divers to be able to do dives here. Let me know if you are around that area and free to buddy up for some cave dive. Thanks

Hi hweijie

While I am not available to dive with you in August, I have some information and comments that may be of use to you.

I assumed that you are the person from Singapore that posted on the “Mt Gambier Diving” Facebook group on 17 July 2016. I would suggest that you keep posting in this particular group as it includes many of the active divers. For example, you could ask about where most popular eating places are located.

If you have not already done so, I would suggest that you prepare a wish list of dives and a rough plan of what you and your group want to do. This would be useful when talking to potential buddies. i assume that you are aware of the need to make bookings for particular sites.

If you have any difficulty in getting any interest for buddies, I would suggest that you contact Rowan Stevens, the CDAA Publications & Records Director, who can send out an email to the entire membership (Rowan’s contact details are on the CDAA website). If you do contact him for assistance, I would suggest that you consider offering to write a short article for the CDAA magazine about your visit. It is also good to hear a visitor’s perspective.

Assuming that you will be bring a phone or a tablet, I would suggest that you ‘LIKE’ the following Facebook groups in order to get local information - "Border Watch Mount Gambier" and “ABC South East SA.” The former is the local newspaper and the latter is the local radio station operated by the national government’s broadcaster. These can be useful sources for news of what happening and particularly good for news of adverse matters (i.e. bad weather, vehicle accidents, bushfires and crime) that can be an inconvenience to the local population. Also, the Border Watch is always interested in content, it may be interested in hearing from you and you might get your picture in the paper (and on its Facebook page).

If you have spare time and if you are diving Fossil Cave or The Pines at Tantanoola (i.e. 25 km north of the city of Mount Gambier), you could visit Tank Cave, the CDAA property to have a look at the entry to the water-filled cave system. Assuming the site is open during your visit (usually weekends), you should make contact with the Access Officer to confirm that you will be visiting - please check CDAA website for more information.

Hi diver257a,

Wow very much thanks for the information. We greatly appreciate your kind advice. We will post our probably cave on th Facebook. We are thinking of going to fossil and the pines as well and would very much like to visit tank cave. Although we would not be able to meet you on this trip, but it would be nice to meet up the next time to get you a beer for so much wonderful information you provided.

Thank you very much
Weijie

Wow very much thanks for the information.

Hi hweijie,

Thanks for the kind words - I have two additional comments.

Firstly, I saw a post by Peter Wolf (CDAA Victoria representative) yesterday on the CDAA members forum in respect to your visit.

Secondly, I noticed that you describe yourself as 'DIR Practitioner' and am wondering if you are GUE member. If so, you can post on something called the 'Quest List' which creates and sents an email to all GUE members. I get these regularly and they all came from the following address - quest(at)gue.com. I just had a look at the members area of the GUE website and could not find anything about this service. I suggest that you either try it or send an inquiry to info(at)gue.com. This may be an avenue for finding buddies.

Hi diver257a,

Thanks a lot!! We just came back from an awesome dives in Mt Gambier. We managed to get a friend in Mt Gambier to show us around the caves. The place is really very nice and we are looking to come back for more after our cave 2 (adv cave level). Thanks a lot for many advice. We did pines, fossil, engelbrechts, Mud hole, Piccaninnie ponds and Ewens ponds. My personal fav is pines as there were many swim thru. Engelbrechts is beautiful as well. My buddies love Ewens pond, a relaxing swim around.

Weijie

Back
Top Bottom