Looking For Sidemount Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if going to maui, there are 3 or 4 sidemount instructors at maui dreams dive co. no penetration here. just 2+ hour long reef dives (depending on cf of tanks of course). Once sm certifed going to self relient diver is pretty straight forward, if solo diving is your thing. (solo sm scooter diving is freakin awesome!)

I'm surprised I couldn't find this in an existing thread and perhaps I need to dig a little deeper into the forums but I'm an older, rec diver with some technical experience, Cavern Diver, Cave Diver, looking for Sidemount training. I'm sure this has been asked before, but how can I find a good side mount instructor? I hold cards from NAUI, PADI, SSI, TDI and IANTD so I really don't care about the organization, I just want solid instruction.

Most of my diving from here on will be in warm, open water. Not interested in extreme deep or penetration diving.

I'm in the southwest, but I'm willing to travel for good instruction.

So, how do I find an instructor?

Thanks in advanced..
If you're a certified cave diver and looking for sidemount instruction, I would highly recommend contacting Nat at Under the Jungle. She's one of the best, most dedicated dive instructors I've ever met, and she has teaching SM down to a real science. If you took her class, you'd have to suffer through a vacation on the Mayan Riviera, so that might not interest you, lol. But you should still contact her, she knows tons of great divers and teachers, some in the U.S.

But here's a weird question, if you have taken cavern and cave classes, and you're interested in sidemount, why would you be only interested in OW? The whole reason I learned SM was to facilitate easier diving in the Mexico caves. For OW what's wrong with BM doubles, if you even need doubles?

If you do go to UTJ for a SM class, be warned, once you get going in those Mexican caves they can become VERY addictive.
DSC4842NWM.jpg

Just did mine with Monty at Roatan Tec Center and had a great experience. Super knowledgeable and a great instructor. Some of the most rewarding training I've done to date.

If you're a certified cave diver and looking for sidemount instruction, I would highly recommend contacting Nat at Under the Jungle. She's one of the best, most dedicated dive instructors I've ever met, and she has teaching SM down to a real science. If you took her class, you'd have to suffer through a vacation on the Mayan Riviera, so that might not interest you, lol. But you should still contact her, she knows tons of great divers and teachers, some in the U.S.

But here's a weird question, if you have taken cavern and cave classes, and you're interested in sidemount, why would you be only interested in OW? The whole reason I learned SM was to facilitate easier diving in the Mexico caves. For OW what's wrong with BM doubles, if you even need doubles?

If you do go to UTJ for a SM class, be warned, once you get going in those Mexican caves they can become VERY addictive. View attachment 781691
Thanks for the 411. I've had a few folks recommend Under the Jungle.

Two reasons I'm looking at sidemount, to save my back and more importantly, because I'm an air sucking dog. I have hundreds of dives under lots of different conditions. I'm comfortable underwater, have very good buoyancy control, and frog kick. Nevertheless, even with a aluminum 100 cf tank, I only get about 40 - 45 minutes!

The guys at Protec have a lot of experience with the XDeep system, as they helped to design it. The Mexican caves are gorgeous too.

Nevertheless, even with a aluminum 100 cf tank, I only get about 40 - 45 minutes!

At what depth?

If I bounce down to 90 ft then work up. If I stay at 40 - 45 feet I'm OK, but that rarely happens.
That does seem high... Do you know your RMV or SAC?

Not currently! I'm using an Aqualung Legend regulator that I have serviced annually. It seems fine to me, but I'm used to it so maybe that's an issue.

BTW, check out my latest post in the Advanced Scuba Forum, Sidemounts versus Twin Cylinders On The Back". Let me know what you think.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom