Looking for some recommendation about Halong Bay cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

becki

New
Reaction score
I'm a budget traveller and my nearest goal is explore Asia with my dearest friend. Because my friend hunted successfully cheap flight tickets to Vietnam, hence our trip to Vietnam will start in April 2016. After doing more researches on Tripadvisor and some other blogs, we found that cruise is the most interesting way to enjoy Halong Bay cruise.
55de8850b9af9.jpg

Is there anybody having experience on booking budget Halong Bay cruise? We found that BestPrice Vietnam is offering $106 /pax for 3- star Glory cruise with free visa service. Is the price reasonable?
Hope to receive some useful recommendation!

Once you get to the docks, there are dozens of vessels departing on cruises every day. Plenty of hustlers ready to lead you to the nearest one. You don't need to book in advance.

We found that BestPrice Vietnam is offering $106 /pax for 3- star Glory cruise with free visa service. Is the price reasonable?
Hope to receive some useful recommendation!
Free visa!! That is interesting.
The visa alone is US$45.00.
If I were you I will apply the visa on-line first and then do what DevonDiver suggested.

@Centrals: Thanks for your advice, I nearly forgot that the Vietnam visa service price is quite high.
@DevonDriver: I agree that each day, there are many cruises on docks but they are full-day cruise. I'm planning to join 2 days 1 night cruise (called cruise tour), hence I needed to booked the cruise in advance. Those cruise tour will start their itinerary as established schedule without hustlers.

I would think there is a difference in "Visa Service", which this company can provide, and "Visa", which the government gives you. Of course OP will have the details, but the visa service is likely the arrangement of the Visa on Arrival letter, typically about 10 to 20 bucks depending on who you use. OP would likely still have to fill out the forms, bring the picture and paperwork, and get the visa when landing in Hanoi (or SGN or DAD) by paying the cash fee. The free service might also include the expedited service where they have a guy meet you at the airport and help you get the visa.

And, FWIW, visa fees have been reduced. OP doesn't mention what passport they're holding, but the general tourist visa on arrival is now $25 instead of $45. Many European nations now have visa free waiver for up to 15 days stay.

Regarding choosing a tour, there are many "travel agents" and boats who also do the 2 day 1 night cruises that you can join the day of. Most of the boats in my experience are similar and run the same general route. I would also probably just show up if you're looking for the best deal. But if you're less comfortable with that plan it seems, my Vietnamese American friends have been using "tour radar" site lately to book tours here as they like to plan ahead. The lonely planet forum often has good budget travel advice, you might check there. Or just wait until you're in country and book at a local agency near your hotel your first night here, if you're not going straight to Ha Long from the airport. My one caveat is there are some holidays in April/May timeframe, so google it and if you're coming during a holiday then I would book in advance.

I don't know of any boats in particular to recommend though, sorry. 3 star here usually means more like what I consider 1 or 2 star at home in America, so be prepared.

@DevonDriver: I agree that each day, there are many cruises on docks but they are full-day cruise. I'm planning to join 2 days 1 night cruise (called cruise tour), hence I needed to booked the cruise in advance. Those cruise tour will start their itinerary as established schedule without hustlers.

Nope. We arrived from Hanoi via bus and booked directly on to a 3 day / 3 night cruise tour at the dock. There was a wide choice, so my girlfriend (at that time) was able to negotiate a great deal. She was Israeli... and very good at haggling. LOL

We cruised the Bay, visited caves, did kayaking etc.. and spent 1 night on an island (can't remember the name).

I can't remember the cost, only that it was cheap. We spent a month backpacking Vietnam (North to south) on a very limited budget. It was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom