Looking to build this cabinet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
Anyone have this or have the plans to this.?

Scuba Box.jpg

There was a thread almost a year ago from someone who built something very similar. I don't remember who the op was, but I do remember him being very open with his design.

That looks like a great cabinet - straight forward box construction. The only thing I would do is ensure the sides and back have plenty of ventilation. Even after cleaning and drying, gear can tend to have a bit of "funk" to it. Maybe install a brushless (ozone free) fan to circulate the air.

Do you own a router? Table saw (Will need dado or router)? Circular saw (With an 8+ foot straight edge)? With any two of those you should be able to build most anything you want. Of course a drill will be necessary for the hinges and such.

Who needs plans? Just put something in your head, scratch it out so you can get a materials list, and start building.

If it were me, I would use melamine for the four sides. Since it will be wet, probably plywood for all else instead of MDF. Either way everything would get painted on the inside. Also screw it well to the wall. A cabinet hardware store should have some nice adjustable feet, plus the rest of the hinges and handles. I have never seen the feet at Home Depot/Lowes/etc.

4'x8'x24" is an easy dimension to work with, and has minimal waste.

The fan idea is good, and also having your forced air heater plumbed in is even better.

They also sell cheesy closets just like the one posted above. Building one is more fun and cheaper though.

Since it will have water on it a good bit, I'd suggest marine plywood.

And it looks to be elevated, like putting something on 2x4's. Also suggest a drain, maybe expanded metal (aluminum) grating on the bottom,top, and shelves. Or adequate openings on the sides and center, for airflow.

Looks like in the photo the doors have weatherstripping to make a tight seal. Maybe an attempt to keep bugs out?

If you do that, everything must be bone dry before closing up, AND I would put moisture and odor absorbers in there.

Can't help you with exact plans, but if you want a good book, get "Making Flawless Cabinets and Built-ins" by Nick Engler. It covers many different designs, materials, tools, helpful hints, etc. It's not a big book, but it's surprisingly complete.

If you're worried about making mistakes in your own plans, don't. You WILL make mistakes. They WILL be agravating. And you WILL fix them.

If you think getting some pre-made plans will keep you from making mistakes, don't. Most plans have mistakes in them, and you will make mistakes not in the plans. Plus, I'd bet you're already thinking about making mods to this guy's plans...

I will admit though that for the inexperienced, seeing how someone else did it is an advantage, and a comfort too.

If I was to build it, I think I'd build all the sides out of peg-board to let air in.

Now... since sometimes wet stuff would be put in. I think I'd apply a coat of poly-clear to it, or some other paint first and then poly-clear. That way it'd protect it from the water.

worried about bugs/critters/spiders getting in? not a problem. Just like the inside or outside of the cabinet with mesh screen.

I still think a fan to circulate air when wet stuff is put in would be optimal.

At the same time, one of these days I hope to build a dive cabinet. but my plan is to make it so I can roll a rack f stuff in to it. Let it dry out in the garage (or almost dry).

a rack similar to this.

images

I don't a cabinet such as that being used to store wet gear. Yes, there's a chance that there may still be some dampness, but I wouldn't be putting my gear away until it was dry. A fan, meshed vents, or even a dehumidifier are definitely good ideas, but I think a drain and waterproofing are overkill. I might be off, but here in AZ drying stuff isn't a problem.

I think that using existing plans as a reference is a good idea if you've never undertaken a project like this before, however, as DIWdiver says, you'll be making personalized tweaks as you go. Personally, I might go a little bigger and make his and her sides with mutual storage space in the middle. Or, use mike s's idea of making it compatible to house a wheeled drying rack. 8'x8'x24".

Back
Top Bottom