Looking To Buy A Semi-dry.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Dano,

You haven't addressed one very important point that guyharrisonphoto brought up: Suit compression.

How does your 7mm suit compress at depth compared to a typical scuba semi-dry suit? If the scuba suit compresses 50%, but the freedive suit compresses 75% (just made up numbers!), then that seems like it might be an issue indicating that the freedive suit won't keep the diver as warm at depth.

We've heard this before. Freedive suits will become excessively compressed, suffer premature and permanent compression from extended scuba diving. We have not seen that at all , many customers report excellent longevity while using the suits for scuba.

Now for the other facet of your question - will the suit compress more than a scuba suit while at depth. The honest answer is that I don't have data on relative compression "rates". I have personally seen a demonstration of various neoprene's place in a compression chamber and you could view the compression.

It is my recollection that this demo was intended to show that Rubitex neoprene was less affected than some other samples, the identity of which I don't remember. The demonstration was effective in showing that the very heavy and dense Rubitex did not compress.as much.

This material is expensive and much less flexible and elastic, so unless the suit is cut perfectly to your shape, it may not fit as well and be as forgiving as a more elastic suit.

Sorry but I have nothing more definitive to share in this respect other than freedive suits are used by many scuba divers.

Thanks, Dano. I have seen what is probably that same demo. I saw it on WetWear's website.

Sounds like a dive to 100' with a 7mm freedive suit, a 7mm scuba suit, (sample pieces of each, anyway) and some calipers is in order! :D I have a square of neoprene that came with my EverFlex 7 for doing repairs. And I have micrometer calipers. Send me a square of material from your 7mm freedive suit and I'll take them and measure the next time I go on a deeper dive. After this weekend, I'm going again the first week of June...

Hi Grace,

Another to consider is the Waterproof Taurus semi-dry (or whatever they call it now). The quality and construction of these suits is second to none and they offer a huge variety of sizes for all body types, heights and widths, which might be very important for you. I dive Waterproof wetsuits and they are just superb. Costly, but will last many many years.

I have Probe 1.5mm frogskins. Probe's new "quick dry" fleece lining is completely amazing and creates tremendous warmth. I would take a serious look at their "iDry" 7 mil suit which they call a semi-dry..

Not sure what you mean about the Hollis. If everyone you know has one, isn't that a testament to its effectiveness? I think it is one of the best bargains in semi-drys considering its features (integrated hood, excellent pockets). This should be a top contender on anyone's list and I don't get why you would eliminate it to be "different" when that might just mean "spending more $$ and being cold."

I know a friend who dives the Aqua-lung SolaFX and has nothing but good things to say about it as well. Very thick, though.

Can't comment on the Scubapro as I don't know anyone who dives it.

Finally, lots of reasons to like freedive suits (flexible, soft, great seals), but not for scuba. Delicate soft neoprene which is not well suited to wear from straps holding your heavy gear or banging around boats or rocks, etc underwater, also have serious neoprene compression at depth so you have big buoyancy swings when surfacing and lose warmth at depth. easily damaged linings so they require lubricant to put on, Many of these things are advantages for freediving, but there is a reason very, very few scuba divers use these types of suits. If you want to try one, though, I saw Dano's suits at a show last week, they are really nice, and the price can't be beat for a freediving suit.

But, like everything related to wetsuits, FIT IS KING. Try on as many as you can to get the best fit and seal. Price just does not really matter because if the most expensive does not fit, then it will not work.

Thankyou so much! This was incredibly helpful! I understand about the Hollis suits, but I was just looking to consider something different before looking at the Hollis suits! I will definitely check out the new probe ones! Thankyou again for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom