Looking To Obtain Padi Aow Cert In Oahu Or Big Island(?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hcsf_25

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm looking to further advance my scuba certification from OW to AOW during my short stay in Honolulu at the end of May. Ultimately, I'd like to reach RD to volunteer at a local aquarium.

I have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys would be able to help answer:

a) After doing some research, appears it's possible to get certified in 2 full days, rather than 3. Can anyone recommend a PADI operator who help w/my certification as well as taking on 3-4 divers w/no experience (license)? My friends are just looking to have some fun and are not interested in getting certified.
b) AOW Specialties - I think this has changed in recent years (?), so do I simply jump the Adventure Diver requirement and take the required Deep Diver, Wreck Diver, and 3 other specialties for my AOW? I would like to add Nitrox, Buoyancy (as I've read this is quite useful), and Night Diving.
c) Any site recommendations given my situation to get AOW certified? I know this is pretty vague, but I am pretty open to pretty much anything. In terms of location, while I'd love to see see the manta rays over in the Big Island, I'm pretty much stuck w/Oahu given time constraints. I land in Oahu Wednesday afternoon, and plan to dive Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Not sure if it's possible to make Big Island work, as I have to be back in Honolulu Saturday night.

Appreciate any advice, and thanks for taking the time to read.

AOW requires five dives: Deep, Navigation, and three others. Two days is entirely possible. Many operators start with Buoyancy, then do Navigation, then Night on day 1. On Day 2 it would be Deep plus one other. Nitrox is possible, but unusual, since it no longer requires dives. Talk/email with the operators, and find something that works for you. Your certification comes first; don't worry about your 3-4 friends, don't plan around them. They can fit in to whatever.

Yes it can be done in two days of you can do 3 dives on day 1 and 2 dives on day 2. If your buddies are going to do a DSD they would be able to tag along. A few of the deeper requirements would prevent them from joining you. Reach out to the shops and see if they can get you on a schedule.

People frequently do AOWs during their diving vacations all over the world. You will have no trouble getting it done. Pick the shop that is going to give you your best diving experience overall and then ask about the AOW.

Then tell them you really want a good, full experience and not someone giving you the minimum requirements.

Andrew and the crew at HDA are awesome.

Also, Gabe from Kaimana Divers is scottitheduck on here, I believe, and, though I have not dived with him, he's super nice in his messages here and I've seen many posts recommending him as well.

They are both on Oahu.

Mahalo Guys!

Happy to help out. We offer the PADI Advanced Open Water course in 3 days on our 6 passenger boat. We'll start with two shallow reef dives on the first day then get you going on some deeper wreck dives on days 2 and 3. Our staff will take the time to assess where you are as a diver and work on building your skills and helping you become a competent and confident diver. We'll do 6 dives in 3 days and have a great time looking for critters on our wrecks and reefs.

Hope we can get you out for some diving while you are here on Oahu!

G

Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys. I'll be sure to call the operators mentioned here and report back. Really appreciate it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom