lower keys

Discussion in 'Florida Diving' started by UncleJT, May 26, 2002.

1. UncleJT

UncleJT Angel Fish

Can anyone recommend a dive op in the lower keys (Sugarloaf, Big Pine, Boca Chica)? I will be there from June 27th through July 6th.

This will be my first ocean dives so I need someplace that has small boats (6-pass.) and offers "rent-a-buddy".

Thanks

- JT

2. 100days-a-year

100days-a-year Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives:
    Underseas inc at Big Pine.Try a trip to Looe Key(15' to 100') and the Adolphus Busch(40' to mast ,65' to pilot house,80' to deck,113' to the bottom) Most operations in the area are 12-15 divers min. unless money is no object then try Little Palm Island they have a 6-pack.Where are you staying ? We live there coupla mos a year.

3. UncleJT

UncleJT Angel Fish

I will be staying in Sugar Loaf @ The Sugar Loaf Lodge. I was thinking of using Capt. Jim's Reef-Divers in Cudjoe Key to go out to Looe Key.

- JT

4. UncleJT

UncleJT Angel Fish

Let me also add that my first stop upon arriving in the keys will be 2-days at Kelly's on the Bay (Aqua-Nuts) in Key Largo. Hoping to do my first four ocean dives with them. However, I don't like to spend alot of time in crowded areas like Key Largo and Key West.

- JT

5. 100days-a-year

100days-a-year Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives:
    Cool,Sugarloaf is quiet.Lotsa prime inshore reef as well .Consider a night dive.@ $25 usually it gives you an opportunity to see more life and some unusual behaviors.

6. sactomags

sactomags Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Cap't. Banny in Marathon is terrific, but I don't think he provides the buddy ... his boat holds 4-5, tops. He doesn't get wet, but he's got a personality that will keep you going! Can't remember what hotel they go out of (he berths his boat out back), but it is right across Highway 1 from The Quay restaurant in Marathon.

If you dive in Key West, I recommend Dive Key West on Roosevelt (which is also Highway 1). They only take 10 divers out -- and one time we were the only two. Again, no real guides other than for the deeper dive (Cayman Salvager @ 90 feet) and you are on your own.

Margaret

7. Conch

Conch Angel Fish

I just spent two years in the keys, with about 400 dives. Two places I would recommend is Jim Wyatt's Reef Divers on Cudjoe Key, and Mike and Wendy's Tavernier Dive Center in Tavernier. No one treated me better.

www.tavernierdivecenter.com

www.reef-divers.com

Conch