Madeira Beach, Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I replaced a red analox with a cootoo. I tested 20 or so tanks with both and got identical results. Several of those tanks had 1ppm CO contamination. Cootwo also has the ability to do multipoint calibration (e.g. you can cal on both O2 and AIR to get a more accurate cal).

I sold the analox after finding the co and therefore confirming cootoo really works for CO detection. Nothing wrong with analox, but now I don't have to do an extra step - I analyze once and get CO and O2% readings at the same time. I don't love the phone link up, but you can use it without the phone.

I also sold my standalone O2 tester.

I definitely recommend cootwo, especially to folks looking for just a nitrox analyzer.

Yeah, that's what I like about it too. My regular shop often ends up with 1 - 2 ppm CO in the tanks, but I haven't figured out why, and the owner hasn't either.

...I sold the analox after finding the co and therefore confirming cootoo really works for CO detection. Nothing wrong with analox, but now I don't have to do an extra step - I analyze once and get CO and O2% readings at the same time. I don't love the phone link up, but you can use it without the phone.

I love the independent reviews from hands on users. You also are a long time posting member with a solid reputation that can be trusted to call it like it is.. When I come up for a sensor replacement ($140) I'll probably make the switch to the CooToo also. Thanks for the review!!

John, everyone, you're scaring me with this compressor-flashover stuff. Do I have to watch out for "bottles of death" at my local or day-boat LDS? Do the normal analyzers for Nitrox ignore CO?

I'd like to know what the cause was for this Tampa couple. Since she was in a national law firm, it's been covered in a number of legal blogs too.

John, everyone, you're scaring me with this compressor-flashover stuff. Do I have to watch out for "bottles of death" at my local or day-boat LDS?
I would refer you to @DandyDon's signature. "You can test the tanks you dive or dive on hope, testing is safer" It's true, and something I took to heart. Every compressor is capable of including CO in your fill. Do you trust the fill station with your life? I decided I did not and bought a CO analyzer (and later an analyzer that does both CO and O2 at the same time). It's worth noting that even at a good or great shop you could get CO. I found 1ppm in a fill from my favorite shop. I've spent hours and hours over the past few years talking about that guy's fill setup and how he prides himself on it. Still had a minor problem.

Last year one of the major fill stations in cave country (not cave country dive shop) had a CO problem. I think it was attributed to internal combustion or something.
Do the normal analyzers for Nitrox ignore CO?
Yes, normal nitrox analyzers only analyze the oxygen content. There is a separate sensor required to test for CO. You can get a separate CO tester, or a cootwo which has both sensors. There's other analyzers (marketed at fill stations) that also analyze both (many also do He). They tend to be very expensive and not all that portable. Analox stopped making their CO tester, so options are fairly limited these days.

The smart play is to test your gas. Most people do not, and most people don't die. Heck there's no guarantee that CO or other contamination was the cause of the fatality this thread is discussing. It certainly sounds likely, though. We may or may not find out. Often times information is not readily disseminated in diving accidents.

Also, for CO to kill divers at 20ish feet deep... it would have to be a really high concentration. I know I've seen several people talk about diving tanks with 5ppm or less, and maybe getting a headache after the dive. Personally, I won't dive on 1ppm.

John, everyone, you're scaring me with this compressor-flashover stuff. Do I have to watch out for "bottles of death" at my local or day-boat LDS? Do the normal analyzers for Nitrox ignore CO?

I'd like to know what the cause was for this Tampa couple. Since she was in a national law firm, it's been covered in a number of legal blogs too.
A few of us have been making that point for some time now: Yes, every tank needs to be tested for CO. Nitrox analyzers only test for Oxygen in the parts per thousand range (to 1/10 of a percent), so you can have a Nitrox tank that is fine on Oxygen but unknown on CO - which is measured in parts per million, and it just doesn't take many to be dangerous.

We do not know if this is what killed this lady or hurt her husband, but the symptoms are very similar. DAN and the agencies typically give very little attention to the risk, few studies have been done, and when bad air is suspected - usually tanks are just drained without reporting, thereby destroying evidence.

wouldn't an autopsy show CO poisoning if that were the cause?

wouldn't an autopsy show CO poisoning if that were the cause?
Maybe, but how often do you see autopsy results publicized? Does HIPPA cover the deceased? If so, releasing such information might not even be legal.

Especially if there is any kind of lawsuit surrounding a death. If it is CO, and they didn't fill their tanks at a home fill station, a lawsuit seems very likely to me. Family or insurance companies or both might sue the owner of the fill station. Just a guess, I have no direct experience in these matters.

condolences to family, friends and colleagues.....

Maybe, but how often do you see autopsy results publicized? Does HIPPA cover the deceased? If so, releasing such information might not even be legal.
No, there is no HIPPA coverage once you are dead. Things that impact still living people are covered. We ended up having to create a separate logical PACS system for the Office of the Medical Investigator since they operate under such different rules than the rest of our clinical users do.

In NM the death investigation is a public record, you can request it. Other states vary. But tests take time to get results back. Sometimes months, mostly based on how busy the lab is.

No, there is no HIPPA coverage once you are dead. Things that impact still living people are covered. We ended up having to create a separate logical PACS system for the Office of the Medical Investigator since they operate under such different rules than the rest of our clinical users do.

In NM the death investigation is a public record, you can request it. Other states vary. But tests take time to get results back. Sometimes months, mostly based on how busy the lab is.

However, the husband is still alive, so HIPAA may put a crimp in releasing the analyses. Of course, he can release the info himself if he wants...

Back
Top Bottom