magazines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coactbj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Every hobby has it's magazines, some good, some not so good. What are your favorite dive magazines?

Every hobby has it's magazines, some good, some not so good. What are your favorite dive magazines?
Frankly, there aren't that many any longer, worth housebreaking a puppy upon, at least those that don't openly fawn over every product that a sponsor cares to throw out ("truly, the silicone snorkel keeper of the Navy SEALs!").

As a kid, I liked the late-lamented Skin Diver, UW (Unterwasser -- German), and DIVE (from the Canucks), but now read articles in SCUBA (SCUBA | The Official Magazine of Britain's Biggest Diving Club) far more often, than what little else appears on the US newsstands . . .

I have always respected Undercurrent

DAN’s magazine is the only decent one I know that’s left. Heyday of dive magazines was probably 20 years ago, if not more.

The newsstand mags are pretty awful these days.

X-Ray Magazine is a digital magazine that is usually worth some time. It also has the advantage of being free. The format is a double-page-width pdf, so you'll want to read it on a computer monitor or larger tablet.

The photos aren't as pretty as most diving mags, but if you enjoy a little more challenging reading, there is free access to the quarterly journal Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine via NIH's National Library for Medicine Archive of Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine.

Most articles are embargoed for a year before the full text is available. But they do make certain articles available sooner, so you can check more recent issues as well.

Since Scuba Diving became the literal house organ of PADI, the only useful print magazines are Australian, I think. Online, X-Ray is interesting, and for photographers, Underwater Photography Magazine does a great job with gear reviews and first-person reports.

I guess Dive Training. I like the No Dumb Questions. I don't subscribe to anything, just pick up whatever mag is in the shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom