Magnet fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enduser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone ever tried magnet fishing (above water) basically in its simplest form you tie a strong magnet to a rope and throw it into a body of water and pull up whatever you find. I just ordered a pre-built magnet fishing rig (two magnets on a bar and rope) that will be here Wednesday.

So now for the scuba question. Seems like it might be just as fun to magnet fish underwater? Anyone done either?

I think a magnet might have some disadvantages when it latches onto something underwater. A strong magnet may also mess with your dive computer. A metal detector would be a more expensive, but ultimately more effective and safer.

All I can think of is swimming along and suddenly thunk you are now hung up on something. It doesn't seem like a fun idea.

How heavy are the magnets?

Your tanks steel or aluminum?

Your tanks steel or aluminum?
That could be a great idea magnets on your sidemount belt to hold your steel tanks in trim.

This is the rig. Magnet Fishing Gear - Large UPDATED!

Aluminum 80s.

This would be more a long the lines of shallow lakes and rivers with a rope. I suppose the magnet could hook on to something..... but that is kind of the point?

Then I'm hooked to something that a 30lb magnet can attract. So I either a swim down and dig it / float it up or b let go of the Rope?

I did think about it messing with compass and computer but won't be in a situation where I need either.

I'm going to give the rig a try above water next week and let you know how many nails and bits of angle iron I catch. I may not try it underwater til summer.

I was watching someone doing it on a duck pond. They really found nothing but crap. It was fun for the little girl but it didn't impress me much.Magnets are going to be attracted to things you don't anticipate. like your buckles your regulator. rusting crap in the surf. Seems unnecessarily dangerous. you may find yourself attached to an object that you are unable to easily release.

Not clear how much it can lift from the picture. Looks like a snag hazard if there are any down trees, etc. in the lake.

RC4C_N52L.jpg

$12. Be careful with neodymium magnets on a string. They aren't toys. This little guy has almost 40 pounds of pull and will wreck your wrist computer permanently. But they work. Keys, lots of boat keys. Fish hooks, scrap rust, nuts and bolts.

K&J Magnetics: RC4C-N52

If a steel buckle or d ring gets on the opposite side of your balls when you're playing with this magnet, you're going to have a really bad day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom