Magnet fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might give it a try from a boat if I was really bored.

Ill stick with looking and grabbing underwater, as it is I've gotten into more trouble than I needed with that method. Toss in a couple of high powered magnets and I see too many ways for things to go very very wrong.

Bob

I magnet fish it's a lot of fun and rather addictive to do and to watch. There is something about the simplicity of the task and the unknown reward that it might provide. I use a magnet with 50 Lbs of lifting strength and mostly fish from a canoe. Drifting along I keep the rope that the magnet is attached to tight and sort of jig it along the bottom. Here's the neat part you get a sence of the bottom of the lake or river by the feel of the rope. You can feel the bottom make up, rocks and logs feel different, mud and gravel feel different and when the magnet connects to something you can feel it lock on. It's like a poor mans sonar. All that said I don't think that it would add much to Scuba diving :/ If I were to bring a magnet diving with me it would be on the end of a stick of some sort and I would use it to grovel in tight spots for lost stuff I couldn't reach otherwise.

I never tried it in the water but I do a lot of magnet fishing for dropped tools in my engine compartment when I work on my car. There is still a socket somewhere in my front fender I can't get though.
I like to metal detect and magnet fishing sounds like it may be useful for removing trash metal before searching a site with a metal detector. There are some places I gave up on that I know have good stuff but there is just too much junk to work around. I may give it a try and see how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom