Magnetic resonance imaging in a guinea pig model of inner ear decompression sickness.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The authors' conclusion is predicated on the idea that air in the vestibular apparatus is the proximate cause of inner ear DCS symptoms, and this has not been clearly demonstrated. Also, perilymph fistula can cause air to be introduced into the vestibular apparatus, which could confound any attempts to differentiate IEDCS from IEBT using MRI.

Best regards,
DDM

The authors' conclusion is predicated on the idea that air in the vestibular apparatus is the proximate cause of inner ear DCS symptoms, and this has not been clearly demonstrated. Also, perilymph fistula can cause air to be introduced into the vestibular apparatus, which could confound any attempts to differentiate IEDCS from IEBT using MRI.

Best regards,
DDM
So If I understand what you're saying, the poster the authors presented was largely an exercise in intellectual masturbation?

I think they are simply saying that:

"MRI distinguishes small volumes of air and blood, in the guinea pig inner ear"

If that justifies torturing the poor Guinea pigs is a different story. Maybe they just had some MRI time and didn't know what else to do.

So If I understand what you're saying, the poster the authors presented was largely an exercise in intellectual masturbation?

No. One can point out a scientific inaccuracy without making insulting or demeaning statements about the authors.

Best regards,
DDM

No. One can point out a scientific inaccuracy without making insulting or demeaning statements about the authors.

Best regards,
DDM
I would not dispute the accuracy of their study, but rather if it attempted to address a problem (distinguishing DCS induced vertigo from barometric trauma induced vertigo) that does not seem to exist

Do you prefer egregious curriculum vitae padding?

Last edited:
John

I'm not sure what CV padding has to do with the discussion, but the problem the authors identify does indeed exist. Inner ear DCS can be very difficult to differentiate from inner ear barotrauma. They are attempting to address the very real potential hazard of recompressing a diver who is diagnosed with IEDCS but in reality has IEBT, which could be aggravated by further ambient pressure changes. I disagree with their conclusion but I will not demean their efforts.

Best regards,
DDM

John

I'm not sure what CV padding has to do with the discussion, but the problem the authors identify does indeed exist. Inner ear DCS can be very difficult to differentiate from inner ear barotrauma. They are attempting to address the very real potential hazard of recompressing a diver who is diagnosed with IEDCS but in reality has IEBT, which could be aggravated by further ambient pressure changes. I disagree with their conclusion but I will not demean their efforts.

Best regards,
DDM

Scuba-related inner ear diving injuries are known to result from failure to equilibrate, with bleeding into the tissues and spaces (ie, IEBT), or accumulation of nitrogen bubbles in the tissues due to overly rapid ascent (ie, IEDS). To date, differentiation of these disorders has relied on dive parameters and clinical history. No diagnostic testing has been validated for the distinction of these disorders.

I'll try my original question again, in your experience how often does someone present with vertigo and no other indications of DCS where the vertigo is eventually attributed to DCS? Isn't this the essence of the "problem" they are trying to resolve?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom