Mahi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I suppose the Mahi, off Oahu, has been dove on by thousands of divers. I know it was the first wreck I swam through, on dive 6 that was. Well, time and tropical storm have taken a toll on the ship.

Last week when I saw it the wheelhouse and most of the deck had collapsed. There were longitudinal openings in the sides of the hull as though someone had taken a rusty can opener to it. In general just a bucket of rust waiting for the next surge to finish the collapse.

To top off the situation there is now a fake totem pole in a bucket of concrete on the sand beside the ship. I was told some movie company used it for a shoot and then left it, claiming removal was "too expensive".

Well, considering its' history the Mahi has had a long and useful life.

The Mahi was the first wreck I dove on and swam through. I still have visions of that wreck in my head. I guess I better not go back and see it and just remember what once was.

Back
Top Bottom