Make Good Money as a Scuba Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one is very interested in your marketing ideas - although I have never seen direct marketing as the answer to things I have been involved with, I am an optimistic student of marketing (for many years) in general and always have an interest for ideas in a field that interests me.

Big T

I think you should. Whether you intended to or not, you opened up a good debate and created a pretty good thread. Add to it. Also, don't get too bent out of shape over us. We disagree often, but we generally believe that it's in the interest of the thread and not a personal attack. I think you should stick around. After reading your bio, I think you could add alot to the board.

CaptDave,

I only object to your theory that if we disagree with you we are communists, or stupid, or stupid communists. The methods you mention may or may not work, I for one am always somewhat unbelieving when someone says some of what you said. MLM's are all like that. And if you are at the top you make the bucks if you are at the bottom you pay the bucks.

So my vote is if you want people to listen to your ideas, or you just want to express them, don't go spouting off. You have a history of that and it pisses others off and makes you look a fool instead of a person with an idea trying to share it.

Those are my 2 cents worth again.

OK guys I get the point.
First of all I know none of you out there are communists we did away with them. I want you to understand that it is OK to make good money and a lot of money teaching scuba. For too long scuba instructors have had to provide this wonderful service without proper pay. I want to see this change for as many as possible. If this causes prices to go up them maybe they should go up. I have stated earlier that it is in the interest of the Cert. agencies to keep prices low as they benefit by the numbers. I suspect they have even created an intense competition in order to keep their numbers high. I have to compete in this arena but I also have found another way outside the stream to make some good money. That Said.

The next phase of this plan is not MLM as someone suggested.
This is where the real work comes in. This is not an easy plan to promote and you will likely receive a lot of rejection before you strike the goldmine. The key is persistence persistence persistance.

Your target market.
Teach only to people who have access to money. This gives you enough money to provide the logistics necessary to put on a superior scuba seminar.

Your find your clients in-groups. The right client is a special type of individual. They are not leaders, they are not physically gifted and they are not independent thinkers.
They are not rugged adventurers, nor are they millionaires or celebrities.

They are joiners; they join groups, associations, clubs, and work for corporations.

Any group, churches, self-help groups, seminar companies, educational organizations, etc.
This is key to your success as the group phenonomin.

This means you can register your clients in bunches plus the group will recruit for you as the group endorses your seminar.

The age of the target market is 25-55 with an income from 31-79,000.00 per year.

The best way to approach the group is through the leader and get them hooked on scuba in doing so you will get the endorsement to register the flock.

Kiwanas clubs, bankers, mortgage brokers, chambers of commerce’s, rotary, lions, single clubs, even any of the self-help anonymous groups like AA can be an asset to your plans.

How would you like to get in at Microsoft, IBM, apple, Intel Hughes, Cisco, How about the thousands of other corporations that exist in our society.

You can go directly to the headman and offer to put on a free scuba demonstration to their employees and give the boss free lessons to see what your superior program consists of. This will justify the added cost of your program over the local competitors as well as give your program endorsement and the dominos will fall as the followers and joiners will want to please the big guy.

Avoid Doctors and Lawyers, as they are too independent and do not have enough free time for this program. And for a lot of other reasons will not work out. Now do not get offended you doctors and lawyers you just do not fit the profile for this plan to succeed.

The best people and the ones who go over and over again are the computer nerds, tech heads, engineers, etc.

They get hooked on imagined adventure and they love equipment especially computers, cameras, and regulators.
They find it an easier way to impress a girl than with their calculators, ram, dos, gigs, etc. and they have something to talk about with others that are interested in and willing to listen to them. Now I am not being sexist here it is just that 75% of the divers are men. I will talk about the ladies later. They love this, as it is a great place to meet men. Don't get mad at me these are the facts I am only the Messenger.

This is where the hard work comes in. This is not a get rich plan as you can see. You have to contact people, go talk and put on programs get the big guy hooked and this costs time and a little money. The big thing is it takes your time but if teaching scuba and wanting to make the big bucks this is the way to go.

People will not pay big bucks for a scuba class but will pay for a packaged, fun, adventure, travel, romance, (Safe) excitement, and ego enhancement. And as a famous salesman once wrote: Sell the sizzle, Not the steak

The right types of people buy benefits not features.

Keep in mind all of the "Right people" get from 1-4 weeks of vacation per year and they plan it 10-12 months in advance. So that is how far in advance you book your scuba seminars 12-14 months. That sure is not getting rich quick.

The Concept of Perceived value is why your program succeeds:

You are not selling scuba lessons: You are selling a unique package of superior training, adventure, etc. Now you have no competition, as you will be the only one in your area that offers this type of Scuba seminar package...

You are selling: The finest scuba course in the world, escape to the tropics with like minded people, cruise on a custom built luxury livaboard with state of the art scuba support systems and creature comforts. or the best resort in the area. You are selling fun, excitement, adventure, romance, and appealing to the ego.

The fact is people will pay much more for something if they perceive it to be more valuable. People will pay more to go with a group of friends and known instructors than with strangers. They will pay more to go with you, as their instructor will than they will pay to go on their own.

You have to wear a lot of hats in this program. As someone stated earlier, you have to be a travel agent good scuba instructor, a people person, a salesman, etc. etc.

This is not easy but it only takes a few groups to get you rolling.

When I first started. I used to book these exotic trips and was happy to get to go for free. That seems all well and good except that your rent, utilities bills etc. are coming in while you are on vacation...You have to be making an income for taking people away to these great places or you will loose you butt. I gave it away for free twice before the light went off. I have to compete locally with those same types of thinkers who give the dive trip away so they can go for free.

By packaging it as stated above this is not the run of the mill scuba class and dive travel trip. It is unique and the best there is to offer.

You have to get on the telephone call and talk to group leaders and make appointments. Advertising does not work as this is a special unique program you are offering to their organization....Of course business cards are a great help a brochure of the livaboard and pictures help a lot including slides of previous adventures. That is all you need to put this over. If you contact the finest resorts and livaboards they all will be glad to send you a video of their operation.

Shall I go on?

I missed a couple of the postings. Damm can't miss a minute. hehehe

CaptDave I am not sure if your program works because I HAVE NOT TRIED IT and from what I can tell NO ONE ELSE on the board has either. So I am not sure why there are so bent out of shape.

Well I agree the inuendos of us being "stupid" and "cheap" were uncalled for we should listen with open minds.

I am unsure of everyones chosen careers and or jobs but I will give you a couple of thoughts.

I am in the investment business, and I deal with many varied clients. Some are multimillionaires and some are average blue collar workers trying to save a little or a lot extra for their retirement.

I can tell you this ........many of these people would pay 2-3 X the amount for a service or product than the average person or even some of the more well off clients.

I can see CaptDaves idea working for some. Folks this is not as far fetched as what you might think. These people will pay for the "pamered" service which they envision they will get. They will not only get certified, but certified in a exotic local. Now, we all know you can get this anyway, but if it is presented that this is "special" they will jump at it.

No, many of you are right in your comments, who in their right mind would do this ? and why? at such "inflated" prices.

Some and I mean some wealthy people would pay 2-3 X for any thing just because they can. I know I deal with these types almost everyday.

CaptDave........... As I told Syruss.........I don't like anyone to leave the board as we all have valuable input to make......Although I don't like to be insulted. I believe you have apologized for this an I accept on my own behalf your apology and await your next chapter in "making Money Teaching Scuba".

Butch :peace:

I have to give it to you CaptDave, you have sure thought this thing out. Wheather it can work for everyone or not is a different story. I suspect one must have a great deal of charisma to have your program work for them. You now what they say, "If you cant dazzel them with knowledge, baffel them with bullsh*t!
NJDiver_34

This is all 100% accurate information and works in principle for just about any sort of business. However, the information is nothing new.

CaptDave is totally right. These things WORK. But only if you have the right personality and look to sell them. It isnt something that anyone can go out and do. If you are able to do this with diving then you would also be able to do it with any travel package, Auto Sales, Infomercial, Amway, Etc. I often wish I had this sort of personality. instead I tend to get people annoyed. :)

Guess I'm just going to have to be happy with the idea that I will be a tropical drifter type scuba instructor that lives from paycheck to paycheck.

SpyderTek

you are both right on the money.............ya gotta have the kajonies to do this ............

Butch :peace:

Hehe...
Whaddaya mean I can't impress a girl with my 10 terrabyte hard drive??? BS I say.

Big T

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom