Malapascua - Exotic Island vs. TSD vs. Evolution Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd go for evolution too just talked to those guys and they seem very nice and I'm sure they can provide excellent service, the reputation states that...

Though I only have experience with TSD, which was not nice at all. It might be nice there if its quite and only few people diving with them... But once they have a group they treat you as an individual like a four letter word... ;-) they will kick you around from trip to trip from boat to boat no matter what you signed up for or wanted to do without even asking just to satisfy their Russian and Chinese groups... I wouldn't have much of a problem of changing boat or trip if I would be asked and not noted by the waitress just half way through my eggs and toast at breakfast that my boat is leaving in 5min...

Just my personal experience with them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yuhtnav I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience with Evolution and thank you for taking the time to explain why. I am quite surprised (as apparently are a few others).

I was introduced to David and he showed me around and got me setup with gear right after I arrived. I went diving right after that. Matt was off-island and I didn't meet him until a few days later. I really think you should have addressed this with Matt or David. I think they are both great guys and would have made it right.

Since you've gone into detail about your issues with Evolution, I will do the same with TSD and Exotic.

I had a dispute with TSD over charges. I recommend to people that if you're going to dive with them, it would be best if you print out whatever you agreed to and take it with you. Our agreement was over a certain number of dives. Andrea said it was for "unlimited" diving (this got dropped on me while I'm settling my bill and I had to make the ferry so I could make my ride back to Cebu, which TSD had arranged). There was bad weather while I was there and some dives were missed. As far as I'm concerned Andrea took extra profit from me by charging me for dives we were unable to do because of weather. In fairness to her, I expect she charged me the way she "remembered" it. I had no way to prove her memory wrong. When I got home I checked our email correspondence and my memory was right. I could see where she might have gotten it confused as we negotiated over my package, but bottom line was it should have been charged the way I remembered it and this was borne out by the emails. I didn't think there was any way to get the money back, so I dropped it, but I will never dive with TSD again because of it. We're talking about a handful of dives (3 or 4) that I didn't make (so therefore no loss on TSD's part) that they charged me for. She did "discount" it (which actually upset me even more as she implied she was doing me a favor, while still charging me more than we agreed) It was the principle of the thing for me. I did a couple of courses and dived there for over a week. Not a very good business decision on their part as it has cost them my recommendation and any chance of repeat business.

With Exotic, nothing to do with diving, just attitude of Exotic employees that I came in contact with. When I came to Malapascua last time I got directions and then I walked with my bag from the ferry landing. I would stop occasionally to make sure I was still going the right way and hadn't missed it. You've been there so you know the back way you can't always tell what is on the beach. One of the last times I stopped, I was behind Exotic and asked two people who appeared to work there where Evolution was. They weren't very friendly (unusual for the Philippines) and said they didn't know. I knew based on the directions I had recieved I had to be close. I was surprised to find that it was right next door. Wow! I won't get into some of the other stories I head about them and will just stick to my own experience. My impression was they didn't want to help me because I was diving with someone else. Who knows?

As for the issue with dive guides, in my experience in the Philippines, I've had great guides who were only Open Water divers... they were Open Water Divers with 100's of dives though :wink: I've had guides who were instructors also who were also good :D The Philippines is actually the only place I've personally had a "guide".

Boat diving in the US does not generally include a guide unless you want to pay extra for one. Generally the boat gets you there and you buddy up with someone if you didn't bring a buddy with you and do your own dive. They will generally try to match experience levels and I've been asked more than once to take someone less experienced. I am always happy to do this as someone did the same for me when I first started diving When the dive is over the boat takes you back.

A guide in the Philippines for me is another set of eyes for finding interesting subjects to photograph and is there to provide "local knowledge". They may need to be a bit more than that depending on experience level of whoever is diving, but I personally don't require much. This could shape expectations.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at Evolution. It's the first one that I've heard about and a huge contrast from my own experience. I would be a little curious to hear what Matt would have to say about it. I really think it would have been good to take Matt aside and address it with him then and it might have made a difference. I'm reminded of what I learned when I worked in management years ago though... only 1 out of 10 customers who have a problem will likely ever say anything. Most will just go away and take their business somewhere else...

---------- Post Merged at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:24 AM ----------

That can be significant factor.

I did have room on the bench to lie down during the over 70min ride to Dona Marilyn.
5 more divers found places on boat to lie down as well (3 on a raised flat surface at center of the boat, one on the floor)
If there had been 2 more divers on boat, some would have had to sit straight up during the whole ride.
But I came during low season (July), so Evolution could be expected to have more divers on boat during peak season, right?
Anyway, it can be far worse on other dive shops' boats, I don't know.

My last trip I was there in December and there was plenty of room on the boat. I think they try to keep their groups to a reasonable size. At least that was my own experience.

Filipino guides are usually barely open water divers but excellent divers though! Therefore as mentioned before they are included in the already very low prices compared to most places in the world... So I don't expect them to be DM and pay renewal fees... The industry is just a bit different from country to country...

Good to hear that I'm not the only one with that impression about Andrea...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gee, God forbid anyone says anything other than fawning praise for Evolution dive shop here on Scubaboard ???

I have not had a chance to reply due to the fact I just got back from a 5 day liveaboard in California.

My point was that Evolution does not have an office, they run their op out of their bar, I agree with Yuhtnav.

BTW Uberdude it's not the gear that makes the diver.

Here is a link to my trip report which goes into more detail regarding my group's experience with Evolution. My novice buddy had a bad experience with them and has not been diving since.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...es-dive-notes-may-2012-part-2-malapascua.html

We dove with Evolution due to their overwhelming praise on line, I learned a valuable lesson here and would NOT recommend Evolution dive shop.

I guess its the same with any customer service oriented industry. You will never please all your guests, there will always be somebody who is disappointed by something at some time and that person will then feel the need to publicly criticize the business as a way of getting back at them. Even the highest rated hotels or restaurants in the world always have a few negative reviews. I dove with TSD while I was there as my friends have used them before and we had a great time and were thrilled with them, so I really have no reason to try anything else, but from all the positive reviews on here and trip advisor, you would have to assume they are doing something right.

I have dived all throughout most of Asia, been through many Dive Ops and Liveaboards. In my view its very difficult to criticise a Dive OP just because they run their operation from the Craic House, which is pretty much the bar and restaurant. Its got a casual atmosphere, which suits the laid back Malapascuan island life. I believe than for Evolution, only been around for less than 5 years? They have done very well in a short space of time and a lot to champion the conservation of Thresher Sharks and illegal fishing in the area. They have an excellent Technical Operation with excellent UK standards. Are they professional? Very. Safety was always adhered through from the DMs and the crew was excellent. A fun group to be with.

As with any Dive Op they cannot control what happens all the time and please everybody of course. There is always bound to be a situation where a patron is not satisfied by one or more situations either during the dive or before/after the dive.

If a Dive Op did not deliberately cause a negative consequence I think its rather harsh to criticise them on a public forum. If they were deliberate in their intent thats another story. I dived with a German-run operation in the Maldives and though they had the appearance of a professional Dive Operation run from a Shop, well maintained and immaculate in their compressor room where every cylinder was shiny new I was dissapointed by the attitude of some of the diving staff toward non-european patrons such as myself. Highly Professional Yes, Good Customer relations? Questionable.. Was it the intent? Well that was my perception of it. It was confirmed by a couple of my American friends.

That said I dived with Evolution a couple of years ago and found them to be an excellent operation, apart from not having enough fresh water buckets for cameras I didnt have any issues. I was well looked after and I didnt find the staff on laptops in the bar as an issue. If I had a question I asked without hesitation and was answered without feeling I was intruding. Perhaps this is not the case for other patrons, I could see that could be an issue if they did not expect this kind of laid back vibe and imagined a well stocked colourful Dive Shop with a front desk and permanently staffed. At the end of the day its all about the setting and managing of expectations.

I wouldnt have any issue choosing Evolution again the next time I go back to Malapascua.

They just have to make sure there are more rinse buckets for my much bigger camera rig now...:cool2: Not cramming or sharing fluids with that 5D in Hugyfot of Dr Klaus.... :hm:

Last edited:
Speaking of fresh water buckets for cameras, Exotic doesn't have them too. I wonder what's with it. Most other places I dive with in Asia have them! I'll see if I can buy a bucket on Malapascua when I head there next month to use as my camera rinse tank whilst on the boat.

I dived with TSD in 2010 and left with mixed feelings... Mainly over money...

1. We booked a package but could not dive for one day because of the weather... There were no deductions to the price paid.

2. They added a large mark-up to the cost of our accommodation... Almost double the price as I recall (at least an extra 2000 peso per night)

3. Despite spending over £800 each, they charged my friend for the cost of two sheets of A4 paper to print out a flight voucher... Tight!

The local dive guides were brilliant.. And gave their all to ensure we had a good experience.. The western DMT was in the bar smoking fags over a late breakfast, at the back of the group taking photos whilst accompanying our dives, and didn't speak to any of the guests... My CD would have slaughtered her!!!

I suppose I just felt processed by TSD... And not really welcomed as a guest..

interesting read. we are going to malapascua in feb/march 2014 anyone got any comments on the house reefs of exotic and evolution? which one is the best, and can you do either by the shore? as i really cant decide which dive center to go with

Back
Top Bottom