Manual Milfoil removal (Traverse City area)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boat sju

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A friend of mine lives on a lake near TC. The HOA is very interested in manual milfoil harvesting to try to control the weeds. Apparently its been done with some degree of success on Duck Lake in the UP and Higgins Lake. I believe Higgins Lake HOA employs a lake management firm that uses divers to selectively pull the weeds. I told my friend that I can't see how it's cost effective, but I certainly understand not wanting to use the shotgun approach to milfoil control with herbicides.

Anyway, the Association might benefit from talking to some actual divers who are interested/familiar with the harvesting process.

Anyone up near TC interested in this endeavor????

Thanks,
boat

Having access to a lake with a similar problem, I was spurred by your post to do a quick search. Manual removal of milfoil can have a positive effect, but it is temporary. It will grow back from any root fragments or even loose pieces left behind. Here is a site that seemed to have good information.

Manual removal of milfoil can have a positive effect, but it is temporary. It will grow back from any root fragments or even loose pieces left behind.
John,
You're hitting on a few of my concerns. I don't know how to say this tactfully, so I mean no offense, but I'm afraid someone will offer to pull the weeds with no real knowledge of how to do it properly and just make more of a mess next year.

Also, I see some liability concerns.

Thanks.

HOA employs a lake management firm
If all the weeds are GONE/under control, then the lake management is out of a job. I deal with alot of u/w aquatic weeds and it is an extremely political obstacle with everyone from government agencies to treatment firms trying to save their contracts/jobs.
One of the most effective ways to treat milfoil & hydrilla is by using triploid grass carp. They work 24/7 for FREE. Now when you mention carp, a person(s) job who depends on weeds will tell you that carp are dangerous and can destroy your lake etc. But they are extremely effective and sterile ones only live 6-9 years and must be restocked. Your HOA should QUIETLY consider adding them @ 2-6 fish/acre without involving the lake managers. Rules should be researched prior, but in most cases, a small group of residents can be effective.
And lastly there is Sonar, a chemical if you are rich and have plenty of money. Best of luck to your group but you should consider doing this quietly 1st.

I used to volunteer at a local lake doing milfoil remediation. During manual removal we had scads of canoists and kayakers with nets to grab up any fragmented pieces. If you don't do that the picking simply spreads the infestation all over and you have compounded your problem.

Manual removal was only done after covering the large areas of invasion with tarps - 25 feet wide and 35-40 feet long with rebar across the width every 3-4 feet. Those were left for 3 years and then divers rolled them up and brought them to the surface (lift bags) and they were lifted onto pontoon boats (hand winch crain on each front corner) and brought to another area to be reused or to shore to be sold to another lake.

Four things to consider. First, be very careful to get good GPS coordinates and also triangulate the location. or the mats Second, be careful to unroll the mats with minimal overlap (about 1 foot) and make a drawing showing the nunber of mats and the order they were put down.. Third, mark the matted areas off limits to anchors - otherwise tou will have to remove these heavy massive things that have been pulled over one another and the rebar bent. Fourth, make sure your divers have experience working blind. As soon as you do anything you get a total silt out.

It is a thriving business here in Minnesota.
All workers on the lake are trained and certified as LSP's (Lake Service Providers).
No herbicides, aquacides, or carp, etc are permitted.
They clean beaches to a depth of 8 ft.
The majority is done with mask and snorkel with one or two divers per team.
Workers use mesh bags while pulling and large fine nets for a final cleaning.
Bags of weeds are hauled to a compost site for disposal
Divers are insured and have been trained to search for invasive species.
One company has started contracting out divers to state agencies and other environmental groups for their diving needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom