Mares Proton Ice & NITROX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian2MN:
You can get a Mares Proton ICE for $375 at the www.leisurepro.com website. This price makes it very comparable to the other models in terms of price anyway.

I'd be careful with anything I buy from Leisurepro. They have their own warranty, which is ok, but if anything goes wrong with a reg you buy from them, and you need it serviced locally (unless you're in NY), chances are you're not going to have manufacturer's warranty.

Semper safe

Rick

If a person can wear a titanium watch in a 21% O2 environment, which is air, for years, I would be willing to bet that maybe 300 hours of BT at 40% is safe. But I am definitely not an expert and only stating the obvious.

The issue isn't really the long exposure to EAN40 that causes the real concerns. The initial pressurization of the first stage can create a substantial amount of heat from the rapid compression. That heat, along with fuel and oxygen, can start a fire. Titanium will combust at a substantially lower temp than that of many common alloys used in scuba regs. I wouldn't worry about using titanium at lower oxygen levels such as EAN40, but using common deco mixes is pushing the safety issue.

All regs should be initially pressurized with care. It helps to depress the purge button while slowly opening the tank valve. This allows saves a lot of wear and tear on the HP valve assembly. Some estimates are that 50% of the wear occurs upon that initial "slamming" action.

Titanium is a wonderful metal, but it simply isn't needed for scuba regs.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor of Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

That's true. It's not a good idea to buy from LeisurePro and not check it out before your big diving trip. But no one seems to have complaints with their warranty turn around. Look at UWatec with their computer last year that was recalled...with a 4 month plus turn around for warranty replacement! However, I've never paid more than 35 for a regulator service so unless my LDS offer me a regulator with "free service" and would have to keep the reg for 5 years to break even!

Scubaguy62:
I'd be careful with anything I buy from Leisurepro. They have their own warranty, which is ok, but if anything goes wrong with a reg you buy from them, and you need it serviced locally (unless you're in NY), chances are you're not going to have manufacturer's warranty.

Semper safe

Rick

Back
Top Bottom