Mares Smart Air vs Mares Puck Pro+ opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am sure this is like asking an oil or tires questions on one of my motorcycle boards...but I am just now getting into diving and heading to Fiji next week and hoped to get a suggestion between these two computers...not a bunch of opinions of why I should buy the one your wear! hahaha

About me: haven't been underwater in 45 years....65 years old...crappy eyesight up close...yes I need to address this ASAP...and because I am going to multiple paces in Fiji...I want to get my own dive computer.

I saw both of these for an acceptable cost on Divers Supply...being ignorant...seems like the Smart Air has more features including a bunch I will not use. One that stood out is the ability to specify the fields I want on the lower/3rd line.
The big complaint I read about the PP+ is the single button to scroll through the display fields.

Please be gently with me...is the Smart Air that much better? It's only $50 more?

OK...I give in...if there is some other dive computer in the $250 range I should look at...please let me know!!!

Thanks in advance!

Personally, I wouldn’t get either. I have a PP+ and don’t like it. I much prefer my Shearwaters. Take a look at the Peregrine. It costs more but is a much nicer computer, in my opinion. However, if you are set on one of these two, I’d go with the Smart Air. It supports air integration, which is nice, and two button navigation should be better than the single button on the PP+.

My son and I both have Puck Pro + computers and I also have a Shearwater Perdix 2. I think the Puck Pro is a great value for the money. The one button can be a little pain, but honestly not that big of a deal.

A buddy of mine has the Mares Smart, and I've played with it a little, and I have 2 quick thoughts:
  • The display on the Smart seems just a little bit smaller to both me and my buddy, so if display size is a problem the Puck Pro may be the way to go;
  • I found the 2nd button usage on the Smart to be way less helpful than I thought it would be. Perhaps that's just me, or I've gotten used to the Puck, but I thought the Smart's 2nd button was not used as much to advantage as I would have thought.
The Shearwater Peregrine suggest above seems like a good computer with a nice sized display, but definitely a jump in price over these 2 Mares computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom