Maria la Gorda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terrydarc

Reaction score
Has anybody dived Maria la Gorda? It's on the westmost tip of Cuba and supposedly one of the primo spots to dive there. Any other Cuban recommendations would be very much appreciated. Looks like we're only gonna have 3 or 4 days diving, but my Lonely Planet Cuba dive book makes the place sound pretty good w/o being a flashy tourist trap.

Our tastes run to the obscure, quiet, untouched and down-classed resorts.
=Terry

We dove Maria la Gorda for one week in May '02 aboard Oceanus, a liveaboard out of Cancun. The diving was fantastic, right up there with the best of the Caribbean in just about every respect. Fabulous walls, great visibility and abundant reef life. We conducted a fish count for REEF and I'm sure the results of that survey can be found online.

There is a small resort hotel which would definitely fit a "down-classed" description. I'm told the rooms were clean and the food passable. Mojitos at the bar were $1 each. There are land based dive operators but I don't know anything about the.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom