Marina del Rey takes a dump on Redondo Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
While work continues with the sand barges dumping gunk from Marina del Rey onto one of our favorite dive sites in Redondo Beach, we have been concentrating our efforts offshore.

We missed the hatching of Octopus rubescens by a few hours last week near the Redondo Barge, but there are more nests that are not as far along. We'll keep an eye peeled for tiny hatchlings withing the next few weeks.

I've also been trying, unsuccessfully to capture images of the tiny nudibranch Doto kya as they lay eggs on the side of the barge. Today I could clearly see rhinophores, hoping it was from a larger specimen. Alas, no such luck. However, it was still exciting as it turned out to be several Dotos enjoying a minuscule nudi orgy. I used a 90mm lens plus a diopter and could still not get any great detail. Maybe I should stick to starfish and gorgonian. At least they don't move too fast.

RedondoBarge21.jpg

RedondoBarge20-1.jpg

RedondoBarge22-3.jpg

PVDiving1.jpg

PVDiving3.jpg

PVDiving2.jpg

Kevin Lee works as part time Anchor Boy while the sand barges continue burying the nudibranchs near the Topaz Pilings

RedondoBarge15-4.jpg

RedondoBarge13-4.jpg

Cabezon, Scorpaenichthys marmoratus

RedondoBarge17-4.jpg

Triopha catalinae

RedondoBarge16-4.jpg

RedondoBarge6-4.jpg

Tritonia festiva

RedondoBarge5-4.jpg

Cadlina flavomaculata

RedondoBarge4-2.jpg

Aegires albopunctatus

RedondoBarge3-4.jpg

Hermissenda crassicornis

PVDiving5.jpg

PVDiving4.jpg

Mexichromis porterae

RedondoBarge11-2.jpg

RedondoBarge12-3.jpg

RedondoBarge10-4.jpg

RedondoBarge8-4.jpg

Doto kya

RedondoBarge19-2.jpg

RedondoBarge18-1.jpg

Corynactis californica

While work continues with the sand barges dumping gunk from Marina del Rey onto one of our favorite dive sites in Redondo Beach

Thanks for the pix Phil. FYI, I've been having some conversations about all of this with Cong. Janice Hahn's office and has made them aware of these pix as it appears to my eye that this may not be the sand placement procedure that was agreed upon. I'll chat with them again tomorrow (Mon) and keep you all posted.

- Ken

We watched them take away an empty barge and replace it with a full one yesterday and today. The crane did not appear to be operating over the weekend and I haven't seen any new "sand" end up on the beach yet. The crane barge is anchored just past the edge of the canyon in 45 feet or so, about 100 feet offshore from the Topaz pilings. According to the plans I read previously they would dump sand into the canyon as well as "re-nourish" the beach.

Excellent series! Love the Cabezon captures. He looks very well fed :wink: Those are some of the best Doto kya shots I've seen yet. Very strange looking for a nudi. Can't make heads or tails of what parts are where. :confused:

Charlie and I dove Long Point today. Some of the best visibility we've seen there ever "at least for the top 45ft". Will post a report later tonight.

Oh....and what progress has Merry made in editing her Cozumel shots? :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom