Marine Room 05/14/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Why did the water temp drop to 62ºF? Last weekend it was a balmy 66ºF, and instead of that, today we got a teeth chattering 62ºF as a surface temp, all the way down to 17fsw. And of course, it was overcast today, which helped make the water all the more bone-chilling.
IMG_1547_zpsjp3z8tmm.jpg

Low tide was supposed to hit at 11:30AM today (as opposed to high, last weekend) so we dawdled a bit topside to give tide some time to recede because of the new precarious entry point at Marine Room:
IMG_1543_zpszvxd1ns5.jpg

IMG_1545_zpsp3dhifrh.jpg

At least it was flat
IMG_1546_zpsmn20lr1g.jpg

I had read a report the previous night that viz was green and terrible at the shores, so I didn't have really high hopes for the dive today but... being in the water is better than not being in the water :D

So we geared up, kicked out, and dropped. Dive was 1:25 long, max depth 17fsw because I dropped down 2' to try to have a max over 15fsw for once (lol), average 9fsw. Surprise, viz was ok! Immediately, buddy found a Guitarfish
P5140008_zpslvavekiy.jpg

Seriously I just don't have the skill. Only the relatively common critters-
Sheephead
P5140016_zpser1q1m2n.jpg

Lobster
P5140034_zps0qhlr7mb.jpg

P5140047_zpsmfsjgdkq.jpg

Sea Bass
P5140038_zpsnegi6ki0.jpg

I was telling my buddy topside how I never get to see sea hares? Of course, he finds some on this dive:
P5140022_zpsg9dybd3f.jpg

P5140024_zps3mmhkzlk.jpg

I actually found a Guitarfish on my own, because he left his tail pretty precariously out.
P5140048_zpsyk93v5so.jpg

...but I got too close :(
P5140057_zpsdv4dlohh.jpg

So I could tell we were getting close to the shoreline at the far South end of Marine Room (that cove before hitting the hills that lead to the cove) when it started looking like this:
P5140065_zpslucopjhi.jpg

But that means, we might see sea stars! Without fail, buddy found one - I think there's at least one big one that lives full time here because whenever we venture over here, we see what looks to be the same one (maybe just that species lives here?).
P5140064_zpsekwsm4oo.jpg

So buddy finds all the interesting fish, right? Apparently my skills lie in finding the turtles, and I'm ok with that.
P5140071_zpscwhbjtgy.jpg

It doesn't look the same as the last one we saw on the dive last weekend, so maybe we have 2+ different turtles hanging out in San Diego now. But by this point we were heading back because we were both frozen.

Hey buddy, what is this that I took a pic of?
P5140062_zpswccki4wp.jpg

And I got the best pic I have of an abalone yet:
P5140076_zpstjw2ja6x.jpg

It's cold, but good. Go dive!

Super nice, we were at lulu's cove and big Geiger reef front side Catalina vis meh to poor. Looks like you had a awesome day, but like you said better in the water than not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom