Mary Ward Shoal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes thats the Mary Ward, the prop is off the end and the ribs are all laid out, Ive been there dozens of times and its a good wreck to snorkle on and dive if you want, depth is about 15 feet, let me know if you want any more info.

I've also been interested in finding out more about this wreck how easy is it to get to by boat etc any info you have on it would be greatly appreciated pics would be awesome if anyone's got any Thanks

If you go into Craiglieth provincial park and campground down near the south end you will find a plaque describing the wreck of the Mary Ward and the history of the oil shale found in the area. From that plaque almost straight out about 2 kilometers you will see a large shoal with weeds and some bushes on it, go to the south end of this shoal and swim out towards the mainland about 100 feet, you should land right on top of it. It will be hard to miss as the water is usually very clear.
The Mary Ward was a 139 foot long wooden steamer that hit the shoal during a storm in Nov 1872, 8 people died while trying to swim to shore during the storm.
An inflatable zodiac type boat is the best way to get out to the wreck, but any small boat will do if you are carefull, theres a lot of shoals out there just waiting to bust up a prop.

Hi , The image in the photo looks like the Mary Ward but the location and coordinates shown on the satelite picture are off by quite a bit. As well the MW is about twice that distance from Collingwood. I grew up in Collingwood and have dove that site many times.

TD the #s are, N 44.33.655, W 80.19.711. Be careful of the numerous shoals made even worse by the low water this year. If you look on the reef to the N/E about 100 yds away you will find the boiler. We launch a zodiac at the foot of Blue Mtn road at the small park just off the highway.

so you basically have to swim in if using a larger boat then a zodiac

You could get right on top of the wreck with a bigger boat, Ive had my 18 foot fiberglass hulled boat out there launched from the ramp in Thornbury ,but thats cutting it close you really have to keep an eye on the bottom and go slow and be able to raise your outdrive when you hit shallow water, I wouldnt go out in anything bigger than that, like a 25-30 foot cabin cruiser would definetly hit rocks.
A Zodiac is nice as you can beach it on the shoal and spend the day there snorkling and diving the Mary Ward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom