Mask fit/seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob4feet

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all. First post here. Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I'm very new to the sport. 8 dives ( counting cert.) no more than 30 +/-ft. I seem to be having an issue with water in my mask. It's a Scuba Max silicone type. When I tried it at the shop I did the typical. Placed it on my face lightly inhaled and it sealed just fine. But each time I seem to slowly let water in from under my nose it seems and have to clear it often. Glad I can do that well. This leads to me always being first low on air. Once I tried tightening it and that was a disaster. Loosening it made it feel better but still let water in slowly. I have no facial hair.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure you don't have your head hair interfering with the seal. May be leaking from the top and just seems it's coming from under your nose. Have you tried another mask? Your LDS may have something else you can try. Can't hurt to ask

Another problem can be having the strap adjusted too tight, or having the strap too high or low on the back of your head.

The funniest cause I heard was one diver complaining the mask fit perfect until she started smiling, she complained it was bad because she was so happy when diving.

Bob

Thanks. Already been through the too tight thing. That was awful. Had to ascend and start over.
Is everyone a bit different as to place the strap on back of your head ?

Hi, @Bob4feet.

Are you clean shaven or do you have a mustache or a beard? The strap placement--You will know when it sits right because you won't get an upwards or downwards pull on your face..It will sit nicely. I prefer having the wide neoprene straps rather than the silicone. When you were in the shop, did you try on the mask as you described with a snorkel and/or reg in your mouth? That often changes the contours of your face which directly affects the mask seal.

How much do you like diving? Mrs. Stoo's old mask used to leak like crazy... She is quite tiny with high cheek bones and whenever she smiled or laughed underwater, the thing would flood...

Ultimately, she found a different mask which was a better fit on her wee face... It's Cressi freediving mask, so very low volume.

That article the fmerkel linked above is quite good. It may be your mask just doesn't fit. It might be worth trying a couple of others...

Ha ha. That story made me laugh. Who's going to the store and having their bro check the mask for them? Just put the mask on with the strap off. Tilt head back a little. And exhale out the nose. Then just lick your finger and hold it around the edge of the max to feel where you're breath is leaking out.
Obviously all masks will leak out , because you're blowing them off, but you'll get the feel for which ones leak the least.

OP, makes sure you clean the seals really well. Why did you have to ascend to reset the strap? I just pull the straps tight, then release the latch to let them release, then maybe add a click on each side. (On a DGX or Atomic mask)

Is everyone a bit different as to place the strap on back of your head ?

You just want equal pressure on the top and bottom of the mask. I have a bit more pressure on the top of my mask (strap a little low) so that I can breathe out through my nose and expell any water out the bottom of my mask. I have a mostache and beard, I shave a bit under my nose for a better seal, and unless I don't get all my hair under my hood, I have no water intruding into my mask.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom