Mask leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on the clarified description whereby the mask is leaking from one of it's seams & not between mask & face, It is definitely a defective mask.

If this is the second one I suggest you ask for a different brand or at least one from a different batch. If this were an older mask with mileage, there are a few possible fixes, but you shouldn't have to fix a new mask.

Try again, maybe three's the charm.

My first 4 years of diving, I had 6 masks. None is perfect, here are some of my learning:

1. Not too loose. When I wear hood in cold water, then go to warm water diving without hood, the mask leaks because it is too loose.

2. Not too tight. Yes, I always think that the tighter the better but I was surprise to find out that the leak stops if I loosen the strap. Too tight distorts the skirt and causes leaking.

3. The older the mask the better it fits me. Also, the older the mask, the fogging problem also goes away. I guess the silicon skirt has shape memories. Always to keep my masks in the box to maintain the skirt shape that adjusted to my face.

4. Attached snorkel causes leaks. When I attach the snorkel to the side of the mask strap to my left, when I turn to my right, the snorkel pulls my strap and causes an immediate leak/flood.

5. Always spit to my mask before putting them on. Even the mask is already wet, I always spit a little into it before dropping down. This sounds awful but with very little spit, I do not even rinse it. Another reason to keep my oral hygiene excellent.

I stop buying more masks after the 6th because of the leaking and fogging reason. I still buy more for other reasons.

Greetings XPATMANX and from post #4 it would seem that it is a defect of some sort.
The other mask is performing well I would keep it and dive it some more if it develops the issue I would try another brand.
I have had a variety of masks since my OW and one thing I can say is that not all masks are created equal and some are just subpar.
It is not always the $$$$ that dictates a good mask! Some really affordable masks have been great and some really $$$ ones not so much so.
I would recommend trying a frameless black skirt for a option. When I tried one I have bought 3 more. They are very soft skirts and mold well to a variety of faces.
Watch out for the laugh lines because if I start smiling a lot mine trickles a bit.

I use Atomic frameless full size and midi. Some of the others I have tried worked well and were a little more reasonably priced.
Stick with what works for you but try new ones if you get the chance.
Good luck and keep us posted on your mask issue.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

I use a mask sealer. It is on the market. Priced around $5. It comes in a tube similar to "Chap Stick"

I did not need it but thought I would try it and see if it made any improvement. I found that it allows me to loosen my mask strap considerably.

I have the laugh lines. So most masks leak a bit on me. Generally, a little silicon grease applied to the mask or KY jelly can help form a seal. I did not know of the mask sealer product and do not know how well it works.

Back
Top Bottom