Massive Shrimp in the Gulf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More likely you got some shrimp that wasn't iced and taken care of properly from fishing boat and or ponds to the market. I've eaten a LOT of tiger shrimp and they are as good as any other species.
If they were larger than 35-40 grams in size (21/25s or 26/30 tails per lb by US measurement) there were likely wild caught since hardly any farms grow them bigger than that.
If they were over 60 grams or up to 200 grams, they were definitely wild caught.
As to growing them in "muddy, funky, skanky swamp water".... tiger shrimp are one of the more difficult to grow in ponds (more so in hatcheries) and of the hundreds of farms I've been to in 4 countries in SE Asia, none were using the water conditions that you describe. I would venture to say that it is virtually impossible to do so.

Cool. Thanks for the information. I will give them another try then. Honestly, most seafood here kind of skeezes me out as it all seems so.....suspect (if that makes nay sense).

Yummy, coconut shrimp!

Private Benjamin Buford would be proud. :D

Cool. Thanks for the information. I will give them another try then. Honestly, most seafood here kind of skeezes me out as it all seems so.....suspect (if that makes nay sense).

I lived in the Philippines for 11 years. A lot of those fishermen didn't have access to enough ice. Just be sure to cook everything thoroughly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom