Master.........Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings!

I could be. Do you owe him money?

So then, a good system would:
♦ Get the fewest people involved in OW diving.
♦ Administer psychological tests to keep dependent personalities out.
♦ Reduce the dropout rate.

They could pick up the divers, give them breakfast and take them to the dive site. They could always ensure they have the good buddies and give them money to buy their gear. Yeah, that should reduce the dropout rate. But wait a minute. We can't do that because that would produce a dependent personality. Uh-oh! What can we do?
Build 20 multimillion dollar, 25' deep heated swimming pools around the country decorated with palm trees and a hot tub or two with graduated depths boardering a 24/7 starbucks and a wine bar restaurant with glass walls. Call them; The Water Club™ Spa & Adventure Company . The classes would be packed 365 days a year. I would bet buoyancy control skills would be a big focus. And who would want to dropout then?

Last edited:
In the IT world we call them "Paper Engineers". The lure of a high salary is just too great. There are way too many people out there with fancy certifications that don't know jack sh.. Anyone can find the test answers online, study them, and pass with 100%. Hell Microsoft recently changed it to where you can take the tests from the comfort of your home. Thank god Cisco requires an 8 hour practical lab to attain the IE. Thats the only certification you can have where if you hold it, you truly are a competent engineer, and no one will ever question it.

"Master Diver" is just a marketing name. Divers want to earn C-cards like merit badges. Agencies want to protect themselves in court. A diver who can brag that he is a "Master Diver" is less likely to get a jury to award him money.

The cert cards impress the uninitiated or novice diver- anyone that has matured their diving skills will see right through it and assess them against how they carry themselves in the water regardless of cert card

I've also heard the title 'Masterdiver Divermaster' bestowed upon a diver who thinks he knows it all. Although, I don't think the agencies recognize this title.

Reactions: Jax
A number of years ago I was in a tropical resort area, and I walked up to the bar after a nice day of diving. A man was expounding on decompression theory to the 4-5 other patrons at the bar as they listened politely. When he was done, he walked off with an air of great pride. As soon as he was gone, one of the other patrons asked me if I had a couple of minutes. When I said I did, he explained that they, as non-divers, had just asked that man, clearly a diver, to explain about decompression. The speaker told me that as a physician, he knew that most of what the guy had told them was untrue. Moreover, he could tell by the agonized look on my face while the guy was talking that I knew that, too. Would I now tell them the truth?

I did.

This was not a case of someone getting a bogus advanced certification. This was a case of someone completely forgetting what was taught in the basic OW class and perhaps picking up some untrue information later on by listening to unqualified people the way the others had listened to him at the bar. People forget what they are taught over time. It happens in everything that is ever taught. I was originally a chemistry major in college, and I had to be pretty good at advanced math to be able to do that work. I can't begin to do anything above simple algebra and geometry today. I certainly can't remember calculus, and a slide rule I used to manipulate with ease means nothing to me now.

Absolutely John. I review a little of my old course manuals daily, and a page of EFR. Wonder how many who also have taken that every 2-3 years actually review this stuff at all regularly? I've taken CPR with another outfit and many of the students were taking it because their day jobs required it. Some may be "Masters", some not at all.

I think it distinguish them they taken their AOW, rescue/cpr training and has 50 dives. Changing the name from Master to something else is fine too.
However, I don't agree that some agency allow them to get AOW after OW after completing 5-7 dives!

I think it distinguish them they taken their AOW, rescue/cpr training and has 50 dives. Changing the name from Master to something else is fine too.
However, I don't agree that some agency allow them to get AOW after OW after completing 5-7 dives!
Agree it distinguishes them and the idea of changing the name from Master to something else (or not).
Don't agree on going right to AOW after 5-7 (I had 6 and turned out OK, I think...) dives. This is an age old topic--many agreeing that AOW is merely an extension of OW and a way to learn more about some specialized aspects, with an instructor (the 5 dives may cost as much as the course anyway, especially if all from a charter boat). Many also agree it depends on how comfortable the OW diver is with basic diving. Some say don't do TOO MANY dives before AOW because you might have picked up most of the skills before taking the course. I would agree though that a name change for AOW may not be a bad idea as well... or not.

Back
Top Bottom