matching equipment!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well there is this one brand that tends to creep up on ya... I have gradually switched almost all my gear to it without actually realizing it.
Comes with a certain stigma though :nyah:

Like some have posted BCD jackets isn’t the best choice for cold water diving. After diving New England waters for 46 years using no BCD 1st then horsecollars with and without auto-inflators, and jackets until about 5 years ago when I bought a BP/W. I find it fits my diving and needs to a T. When I use ID’s I can just remove the STA and bolt on the doubles bands. The SS backplate has reduced the amount of lead I wear. Although I have no objective evidence the BP/W seems to be a lot more rugged than a jacket.

Like some have posted BCD jackets isn’t the best choice for cold water diving. After diving New England waters for 46 years using no BCD 1st then horsecollars with and without auto-inflators, and jackets until about 5 years ago when I bought a BP/W. I find it fits my diving and needs to a T. When I use ID’s I can just remove the STA and bolt on the doubles bands. The SS backplate has reduced the amount of lead I wear. Although I have no objective evidence the BP/W seems to be a lot more rugged than a jacket.
The other beauty of the BP&W is that, if you do wear out the harness, it is pretty cheap to replace the webbing instead of the full system as you might with a jacket

I tend to favor Scubapro brand, given the quality of their regulators. I have yet to buy a regulator but when I do it will be a Scubapro even though it may be overkill for my seasonal diving. For now my fins bear that brand. Growing up I really fancied Technisub for their super low volume masks. But they are now part of Aqualung so I own an Aqualung mask.

I do tend to stick one brand, like Adidas. So to answer your question, I do like matching things, but to have an all Scubapro, or Aqualug set may make one stand out, and I don't like to be one standing out. (I may change this opinion if and when I get a matching set.)

Some stuff makes a little sense like first and second stage regulators so one tech can do the whole set competently. When you get to the rest go with the best gear for you and your wallet. Over time things will change anyhow and keeping things 'matching" will be futile.

When in doubt buy yellow, the visibility will be helpful.

Pete

All my stuff matches. It's all black. Or black/grey. Or black/red.

That matches well enough for me.

Except my O2 reg. It has a dang green wheel and a yellow hose. Fortunately, that is all on the side kind of against my body, so it doesn't show too much.

Matching is very important. The sharks don't respect a diver who doesn't match, and I don't want to be singled out and picked on! Don't even get me started on how the barracuda behave if you get in with stripes AND plaid on!

... I have trouble matching my socks in the morning ... about the only thing "matched" on my scuba rig are my fins (most times) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... I have trouble matching my socks in the morning ... about the only thing "matched" on my scuba rig are my fins (most times) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
You need matching fins otherwise you will end up finning in circles

Somehow I've ended up looking like a scubapro ad. I hate advertising and paying good hard cash to be their walking billboard, but its the stuff that seemed to be priced right, felt good and voila! I'm relieved that at least my wetsuit is another brand :p

I'm sporting Zeagle, Mares, Cressi, Apeks, Dive-Rite, Edge, & Akona among others. It all fits in an Aqualung bag. Must look like NASCAR or a professional golfer...geez, good thing fish can't read. :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom