Maui: Ed Robinsons Dive Adnventure (ERDA) Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWA395

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Spent 5 days on Maui (9/28-9/23) with family but as the only diver, had only one day to dive. I had brought my own dive kit as I spent a few days diving Oahu as well.

Selected the Tuesday, 3 tank dive after inquiring with several dive ops. Boat Captain (Joe) and DM (Dave) were excellent. Handled all reservations over the phone. Met at Kihie Boat basin at 0630, and off to dive site by 0700. We returned about 1245. We had 4 divers on the boat, all at AOW or above. Dave discussed with the divers, potential profiles, currents and dives. The group preference for the 1st dive was the backside of Molikini, as a wall dive. Max depth of 102', and 45 minutes (my dive time, as other members had different times). ERD lets you dive your air, which is the reason I chose them. Immediately dropped into Galapagos sharks at about 100'. 2nd dive was 85' with a deco limit on bottom time and 3rd dive was a max of about 50' which was well over an hour.

During the SI's ERD provided fruit, snacks and lunch during the 2nd and 3rd dive. If you are looking for a dive op that will let you dive YOUR tank then I would consider ERDA. My experience was ERDA dives are not governed by boat schedule, they are governed by air. No discover scuba divers or non certified. Excellent dive op where the operator briefs and adjusts based on diver experience. EDRA+1

I'm just curious. Why do you feel it is important to dive with your own tank?
Known weighting perhaps?
Larger volume?
Did you travel all the way from AK with your tank?
Thank you.

I'm just curious. Why do you feel it is important to dive with your own tank?
'Your tank" in this case means the ERDA staff lets you (almost) empty the one they give you - not calling the entire dive on the first person needing to go up. I've never - and most people I know - don't haul tanks either on a plane unless it's specialized like an owned pony or rebreather gear.

Too much grief because you have to remove the valve for the TSA then hope they don't stick anything down in there plus technically it should be VIP'd before use at your destination.

Last edited:
Ohhhh... Thank You. My apologies for the misinterpretation.
I'll know what that means next time.

The dive operator was good. Besides the issue of the way the divemaster handled the octopus he caught, the other issue was the captain we had that definitely had an attitude problem. The old man (I think it was Captain Bird) rushed everyone, was snappy, unfriendly, and generally just made you feel uncomfortable. I don't think he has many friends.

This happened on our dive trip with them to Molokini Back Wall. :(

This seems like a common practice in Hawaii (Maui, Oahu, Kauii, have not been to Hawaii). I have always expressed my opposition to this practice, they do not seem to care. Many of the octopi seem to have been exhausted of ink, and just plain exhausted, after the abuse and chase. This practice is not acceptable

The dive operator was good. Besides the issue of the way the divemaster handled the octopus he caught, the other issue was the captain we had that definitely had an attitude problem. The old man (I think it was Captain Bird) rushed everyone, was snappy, unfriendly, and generally just made you feel uncomfortable. I don't think he has many friends.
I remember Bird! Yes, he's an interesting character. The other boat captain (I forget his name) was much friendlier.

Back
Top Bottom