Maui Scuba shops with larger tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frenimy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can anyone tell me if any shops have tanks larger than AL63's? I am trying to plan out which shops to use but my GF is somewhat of an air hog and would like her to be able to stay down longer. AL80's would work fine but an HP80 would be amazing to be able to rent or find a shop that uses them.

Extended Horizons offer's AL-80's on all their boat trips plus for $6 more the GF can get an AL-100.
Tanks: Aluminum 80‘s (80 cu.ft) are standard on our boat trips. Larger (100 cu.ft.) tanks are available for $5.50 per tank.

I'm not sure you'll find an HP-80 anywhere but if I was looking for one I'd check with Barney at B&B Scuba in Kihei. I believe they do fills for some of the other operators also so they probably know who has larger tanks.

I am almost positive I rented an AL-80 from Lahaina Divers once for a shore dive. Same with Maui Dive Shops boat although I don't actually recall that.

Mike Severns in Kihei also has AL-80's on the boat. They don't have a shop so no external rentals thru them afaik.
Dive Equipment: We use ScubaPro BCs and ScubaPro regulators with Oceanic computers. Tanks are 80 cu ft.

It would be harder to find an Al63 than an Al80 on Maui IMO. I've dove with 4-5 different operations (boat and shore) and can't think of any that didn't have AL-80's standard.

Last edited:
OK great. I have read several post of people saying the shops use AL63. Thank you for clearing this up. I will just pick a shop and ask.

Thanks for the input. I was actually thinking about going with Lahaina divers. We are staying in Kanaapali so it would be convenient. I also want a dive shop that will bundle dives so we get a better deal.

Here's your Ka'anapali (Lahaina) boat dive options:

Lahaina Divers - Paul ^ could be right about their boat tanks being 72's also.
Extended Horizons
Hawaiian Rafting Adventures

There was one more boat operator in the area but they may have closed recently. I can never remember the name. Their "office" was a desk at their slip space in the harbor.
There's also a shop in Lahaina that offers boat diving but they're just booking on someone else's boat. One of which is Extended Horizon's.

For shore diving, Tiny Bubbles is in Ka'anapali also.

If you're new to Maui, the drive from Ka'anapali to Kihei can be the better part of an hour. And most of those boats leave around 6am.

Last edited:
I did contact Lahaina divers yesterday and they informed me that they use AL72's and they have AL100's available. Extended Horizons uses AL80's with 100's available, there site mentions Steel 100's so that might be a deciding factor for us both as we love the weighting for a HP100. Now to choose between theses 2 shops. Thank you everyone for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom