Question Maximizing pool training for under $500 without ongoing costs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah depending on where I go it's either pretty much that or a place that does all rentals for a little less.
Must be a regional thing.

Around here, the course fees include most things you would need. You will need to provide your own mask, fins, and snorkel, but the rest of the gear is provided from the shop's rental fleet at no additional cost. Pool fees were also included, but there was an extra cost (at a group rate discount) paid to the operator of the dive site/charter.

I'd also add a recommendation to wait. The costs for the certification are just the beginning. Gear costs (or rentals), dive op fees, etc. all add up. Getting the basic gear (mask, fins, snorkel, weights) is fine. You're part of the way there already. Getting comfortable in the water is one thing, but I wouldn't go too far with practicing skills. That's what the instructor is for. It will be easier for the instructor to start somewhat fresh (assuming you are comfortable in the water) than to try to break bad habits.

i personally have never met anyone who has paid 1000 for a basic ow cert. maybe things have drastically changed.

our local shop currently is 520 canadian. discounts apply if you buy the basic required gear. and a bigger discount applies if you buy a complete rig.

the course includes all academics, online training, pool time, gear, gas, and the required ow training dives.

i personally have never met anyone who has paid 1000 for a basic ow cert. maybe things have drastically changed.

our local shop currently is 520 canadian. discounts apply if you buy the basic required gear. and a bigger discount applies if you buy a complete rig.

the course includes all academics, online training, pool time, gear, gas, and the required ow training dives.
Same. I understand regional pricing differences, but our shop's OW class is $450 USD and you need to buy mask, fins, snorkel. And we have bundled packages that will get you into those for $150-200. All other dive equipment/wetsuit needed for your OW dives is included in the pricing. Hopefully you can shop for a better price, and that shop is good. If not, practicing in snorkel gear and getting comfortable in the water until you're ready is definitely a plus!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom