may 12th wbp dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSing

In answer to your question on mapping, we have a defined protocol which I feel sure will work well for mapping. Ed, Mark, and I did a dry run a few weeks ago when we found the sunken wooden boat. It involves marking from depth and surface recovery of the markers. I don't think recovery of markers from depth is feasible using milk jugs. The best option is to shoot range and bearing to each marker from the end of the point of land. I confirmed it is easy to shoot the bearing, have not tested range. BTW I had no idea how far out we were actually diving. The boat is about 3/4 of the way out to the island at least, perhaps further.

you might remember a discussion about the mapping I started a while back. everyone was really interested until it came time to actually commit to doing it. :D My feeling is that with 3 teams of 2 divers each, each team doing 3 dives and taking turns as surface support we can do a very good job of initial data collection in one long day IF we start with a reasonably decent initial sketch (ie we only have to record corrections for the most part, not exploration). There are a couple of folks at least on here who with combined knowledge can provide that initial sketch.

Cliff

I may be able to dive Sat am. Not sure until Thu. Would love to help, agreed 80 cu ft not enough. Reel is still on the end of the line, I don't think we actually ran it out to the woodpile you are thinking of, I might be wrong. It is tied off to a large felled tree that I think is about 3/4 of the way to the wood pile.:confused: Also, the two jugs that you said were about 1/2 way are not directly eastbound from the stump, they are to the north of that bearing. They are about 20 feet away from the line and at the limit of visibility from the line as of last weekend. You can see them if you know what to look for. I looked more over towards the direction of the bottles and there is nothing but desolate lunar landscape and nowhere to tie off :D

Oh, btw, I also have a large spool (not sure of length) of masonry line on a spool. It could be deployed at depth though it would not be easy to recover. If you think it might be suitable we could use that rather than more expensive cave line.

Flightlead:
JKSing

In answer to your question on mapping, we have a defined protocol which I feel sure will work well for mapping. Ed, Mark, and I did a dry run a few weeks ago when we found the sunken wooden boat. It involves marking from depth and surface recovery of the markers. I don't think recovery of markers from depth is feasible using milk jugs. The best option is to shoot range and bearing to each marker from the end of the point of land. I confirmed it is easy to shoot the bearing, have not tested range. BTW I had no idea how far out we were actually diving. The boat is about 3/4 of the way out to the island at least, perhaps further.

you might remember a discussion about the mapping I started a while back. everyone was really interested until it came time to actually commit to doing it. :D My feeling is that with 3 teams of 2 divers each, each team doing 3 dives and taking turns as surface support we can do a very good job of initial data collection in one long day IF we start with a reasonably decent initial sketch (ie we only have to record corrections for the most part, not exploration). There are a couple of folks at least on here who with combined knowledge can provide that initial sketch.

Good deal. I would love to help out but it's the logistics of getting everyone together at one time. For example, this weekend is out for me and next weekend is "iffy". June 2nd and 3rd look good but alas, my drysuit is out for some work and I'm not diving deep anywhere without my drysuit in anything colder than 70*F.

I will make it out one of these days.

J:

I have to work SAT. - Can Dive Sunday early- 8:00- need to know if you are nitrox -
Clif

Back
Top Bottom