Metridiums Night Dive 2D, 3D & 360 View

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you.

There are 3D housings and synchronization cables for Hero 3+ Blacks, Hero 2's and earlier cameras. I flooded my H2's and moved to H3+B's a while ago. None of their newer cameras have the firmware that supports 3D...but there is speculation this might be coming as an offshoot of getting into 360VR.

By split screen, are you thinking of a mirror beamsplitter, like the old Loreos? I experimented with a beam splitter recently and got very poor results. The useful field of view was only about 500x900 pixels and salt water would have ruined the rig. I have another, newer beam splitter on order, but the company seems to be having trouble producing them and has gone silent for several months now.

I built a partially silvered beam splitter years ago that worked for Nikonos V extension tube 3D, but again the GoPro field of view is likely too wide for this approach, and I haven't pursued it.

... There are 3D housings and synchronization cables for Hero 3+ Blacks, Hero 2's and earlier cameras.
I'll check to see if they work in video mode, thanks again.
...By split screen, are you thinking of a mirror beamsplitter, like the old Loreos? ...
No, too inflexible for my need.

I want to be able to adjust the separation between the two lenses to control 3D effect. All my subjects are always within a couple of feet, I'm thinking that a View-Master like "over effect" would work.

So the next problem would be video editing software that would combine the two feeds frame-by-frame.

I can easily view random dot stereograms by refocussing my eyes. Want to do the same for a vid. :wink:

Last edited:
I use Sony Vegas for 3D editing, FWIW. It supports 3D and has pretty good alignment tools. The auto alignment doesn't work so good with underwater footage, so I always shoot a clip above the water to use as a starting alignment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom