Mexico situation - Liveaboards coming up - What to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mexican authorities find 5 dismembered bodies in bags near resort town​

Mexican authorities find 5 dismembered bodies in bags near resort town​

Acapulco has been on my no-go list for a long time. Visited once, with some Mexicans who owned a vacation house there.

Acapulco has been on my no-go list for a long time. Visited once, with some Mexicans who owned a vacation house there.
As noted in the article: "Acapulco has been riven by bloody drug gang violence for over 15 years." The town where this occurred is 20 miles inland from Acapulco, or over an hour drive as far as Google Maps is concerned.
Of note though, Acapulco proper has had beachfront violence so avoiding it probably isn't the worst idea.

With increased violence and all out cartel war on in Sinaloa due to the arrest of Guzman's son, multiple countries now advising their citizens to stay away or travel with increased caution if they go to Mexico.

I myself have Socorro trip booked in February. Is anyone else following the news and potentially reconsidering their trip, or am I being overly cautious?

Some Advisory Links:

Map from US Gov advisory map of Mexico.
Hi Kleinson,
The arrest of Guzman's son was in Culiacan Sinaloa not in Baja California. (2 different places and 2 different situations in each state) . you are not going to have any problem at Los Cabos. my advise as mexican is just to Stay in the touristic area and you will be ok.

its more risky to dive with strong currents and sharks .

I've been to Cabo San Lucas twice for a Socorro liveaboard and have had no problems. It's business as usual at the airport and in the whole area. I'm going on another liveaboard in the Sea of Cortez in August and have no worries. Keep in mind, if you cancel your trip because of fear of travel, no insurance company will accept your claim, and the liveaboard company has their own rules of cancellation where you may lose all your funds if you cancel so close to the departure date.

@kleinson - I understand your concern. Since you are heading to Revillagigedo, I imagine yo will be leaving from Baja (La Paz or Cabo), correct? As some have pointed out before, these places are thousands of kilometers away from where the civil unrest is occurring. Additionally, I used to live and work in La Paz and can tell you it's a fully decoupled system from whatever is going on on the mainland. It's good to keep an eye on advisories, but you should be fine.

@kleinson - I understand your concern. Since you are heading to Revillagigedo, I imagine yo will be leaving from Baja (La Paz or Cabo), correct? As some have pointed out before, these places are thousands of kilometers away from where the civil unrest is occurring. Additionally, I used to live and work in La Paz and can tell you it's a fully decoupled system from whatever is going on on the mainland. It's good to keep an eye on advisories, but you should be fine.
Yeah, I've never been too concerned, as I pointed out we went diving in Mozambique during a civil war (100 km away), it's more been my wife and in-laws, but I wanted to understand if I was alone in this, or if there was a real concern throughout Mexico. Appreciate the responses.

Now I am on to trying to understand how I can pack a 5mm, backplate+wing bcd, hoodie and booties + all the other stuff all in a carry-on. Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom