mirror, mirror...

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by FallenMatt, Apr 2, 2004.

1. FallenMatt

FallenMatt Nassau Grouper

sporasub link

..the other day i walked into lds just to kill some time and walked out carrying two steel tanks and a new mask (one of those days...)

when i've got home i looked up the mask on the manufacturer's page:

"The moment the fish feels the hunter’s eyes fixes on him and escapes.
    The hunter hides his eyes to avoid this reaction in the fish. Ideal for open-water spearfishing on sigh"

i am not a spearfisher, so sorry if the above description is 100% true. but it sounds to me equivalent to saying that hunters should wear mirrored sunglasses to keep deer from running away from them.

(i still like the mask, but just when i bought it i thought the function of the tinted lenses is more along the lines of making the colors look better under water or.. err.. make diver look "cool" :-D

...not mentioning the fact that the lense is really mirrored, not just tinted so if i ever get panicky under water my fellow divers will have very tough time to find that out by looking into my eyes...

2. roturner

roturner ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I'm sure it looks very cool but I don't think I'd like not being able to see my buddy's eyes.

R..

3. matt t.

matt t. Barracuda

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I agree with roturner. Eye contact during a dive is important. I recently purchased an Omer "Abyss" freediving mask. These masks are offered with "mirror" lenses or clear. I chose the clear. Maybe your mask is also offered in clear.....

matt