Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last Sunday was awesome. We had up to 80' of viz out at Thumbs Up which was reachable by boat or scooter.

Cold, though, I registered 47 degrees. burr....

Two fun dives at Lobos today with Raftingtigger.

The tide was way low, and the ramp was slick, so entries and exits were "fun".

There was a long period swell coming in that made for more surge than I was expecting from the wave model & a noticeable outbound current in the Cannery Point Wall area.

I was feeling the cold today. The lowest my computer logged was 49 degrees F, but my VEO was displaying 48F.

Vis varied. It was 30+ on the first dive, but heavy overcast made it hard to estimate. On our second dive it was a milky 20 to 30 feet, better back in the cove.

FIrst dive: the vis was so nice we dropped early in, I believe, the Worm Patch area. We cruised along Middle Reef to a 62 feet where we encountered a Lingcod, harbor seal, and pair of divers in quick succession. There were more fish than we saw on Wednesday including a wonderfully camouflaged Cabezon. Bottom time: 74 minutes, Max depth 62 feet, Temperature 49.3F to 56.5F. Viz 30+ feet

Second dive: The sun came out and warmed us up for our second dive. We dropped in more-or-less the same place and cruised 'til I recognized a cave with a hole in the back we saw on the first dive and bore westerly, heading for the Cannery Point Wall area. I'm not used to dropping so early & was never quite sure where we were, though we were in some nice reef structure the whole time. Eventually, I noticed Raftingtigger checking out a familiar looking rock and looking to my left discovered we were at Hole in the Wall. I had enough air to push on for Lone Metridium, but we'd had a significant current at our backs the whole way out so turned around to give us more time for the retreat. Again, there were more fish about along with a cormorant swimming by and a nice school of Blues just under the kelp canopy. We were getting cold so initiated our safety stop, but chose to keep cruising at 15 feet instead of hanging. This warmed us up and we just kept going back into the cove. We did a pop-up to get our bearings and discovered we were about 30 meters from the ramp, so we dropped down and dove all the way there.
Bottom time 69 minutes. Max depth 59 feet. Logged temperature 51.4F to 56.8F. Viz a milky 20-30 feet.

Went back to Lovers 3 today. Topside saw some clouds and mild temps. Light and variable winds out of the NW.
Surface temp was high 50s down to 54 @ 40fsw. Vis was 30+. Saw a lot of juvenile señoritas, a few good lings, a halibut, and a harbor seal for a buddy. Beautiful day to be under water. Swell will jump up again through the week, so get out sooner rather than later. Happy diving

We first went to Pt. Lobos, arriving about 8:30 AM. The ranger let us drive down and check out the conditions. It was very rough. Foam everywhere, plus high surge and waves breaking on the rocks. We left and went to Breakwater. The waves were small and there was some surge, but diving was possible. Once we swam out a bit the viz cleared up and it was about 10 feet at 30 foot depth. Coming back was a bit of a challenge due to the surge that was moving towards the Breakwater wall. We swam out away from the wall and cut across to shore. Water temp. 55 degrees. Lots of critters plus we saw a new born harbor seal on the beach. It was in distress so we reported it.

Is it just me or does it seem like the larger marine life is somewhat lacking around Monterey this year? Been to Breakwater, Metridium field and Stillwater in the last two weeks and haven't seen but a couple crabs and a few perch. Few seal lions and no rockfish to speak of, no lings or cabezon.

I have seen some of the critters you mention, but you are right. There does seem to be less life this year. The harbor seals have been struggling due to lack of fish. They say it's climatic change and the science proves it.

Adding to the two posts above: dove at Point Lobos on Sunday (vis 30+ ft, 49F but felt colder), and saw very few fish. Kelp cover is very low too, with a lot of purple urchin grazing the stumps. A sad sight. We saw a few large rockfish, mostly hiding in the rocks, and a few schools of juvenile fish: senoritas and some silvery ones I couldn't identify. Lots of various nudibranch out and about, but it certainly had a barren feel. (Dives were on the left hand reef/rocks as you swim out, to max depth 60 ft.)

Did two fun dives with 00wabbit at Point Lobos today. FWIW, there is noticeably more kelp than my last visit. It's not a full canopy yet, but growing.

It was fairly flat, but some current shoving us around and a bit of surge as the day progressed. The vis varied from 20 to 30+ feet. We could generally see the surface the whole time, but not so far laterally. The water seemed cold, but my computer logged a minimum of 50.7F, up from my last dive there. The Harbor seals are pupping and making some alarming cries...if I didn't know what they were I might-a called 911. There were several near us, but not close enough to film.

Senor wabbit had camera issues on our last trip, so asked for a repeat of our last dive locations (twist my arm).

First dive: Hole in the Wall and Lone Metridium.

Surface kicked out to near the second set of rocks and headed for Hole in the Wall. Photographed/videoed each other through the hole then headed off to Lone Metridium. A friend was doing a scooter dive and was lingering along the next wall when we arrived. We took some more images and returned the way we came, cutting on the inside of HITW for a change of scenery. Our scooter friends paid us another visit and, knowing I was shooting 3D video, made a low pass over me. We encountered a big Male Sheephead that ducked into a cave when we finally caught up with it.

Bottom time: 58 minutes
Max depth: 67 feet.
Viz: 20 -30+ feet.
Temperature: 50.7 to 57.2 F

Second dive: Coal Chute Cove Caves (both of 'em).

We threaded through the Kelp on the surface and dropped to look for the back cave entrance. I missed it so we ducked into Coal Chute and went in the front door. There was more surge this dive and we were moving around a bit in the cave. There were a lot of blue's in the cave, but smaller ones than last time. We exited and took a right to the next cave and then headed out on a compass bearing that should have headed us back toward the ramp. I met a couple of female sheephead (or the same one twice) and filmed the usual mix of rockfish, etc. When we finally surfaced the current had moved us well off our intended course, almost to where we'd started the first dive!!!

Bottom time:46 minutes.
Max depth: 38 feet
Viz 20-30+
Temperature: 51.4 - 59.4F
Surge and current

Back
Top Bottom