Moray Eel attack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I would have framed it.

I do have a picture somewhere. If the little SOB had really been after me, I'd be missing the back half of my ankle.

Bob

Since I move to Cayman you see a lot of abnormal moray behaviour. Because so many divers feed morays lionfish, you often see morays swimming out in the open and coming up to divers in expectation of food.

Same from our DM on Roatan earlier this month: they stopped killing lionfish and feeding it to morays and groupers because they now come up to the divers and "scare the tourists" :wink: Apparently a few people got bitten on the fingers, too.

Same from our DM on Roatan earlier this month: they stopped killing lionfish and feeding it to morays and groupers because they now come up to the divers and "scare the tourists" :wink: Apparently a few people got bitten on the fingers, too.
Some of us on SB screamed not to feed the fishes. Anyone should have seen that coming. Take the dead lionfish home or drop it on the floor for the scavengers.

Never tried to touch a Moray eel in 47 years of diving until four weeks ago after seeing a dive master do it. Have petted two on the tail since. After reading these posts I'll keep my hands to myself! b.t.w neither eel seemed to care.

b.t.w neither eel seemed to care.

From what I can tell, it's the Morays that do care that seem to cause the problems. Now the issue is how to tell them apart without losing an appendage.

Bob

True, none of them seem to be smiling. It wasn't until I read this thread that I realized that my wife was right when she told me not to touch anything I wasn't prepared to eat. I agree that it's better to not take the chance.

Bert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom