Moray Eel attack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of Morays here in Hawaii....

He could not be convinced to retreat, was too aggressive, and sadly ended up on the stringer too. Again, this was not an "attack" by the moray on the diver, it was "feeding behavior"

Best wishes.

So how did he taste and what recipes do you recommend. :popcorn:

So how did he taste and what recipes do you recommend. :popcorn:

As I remember, the eel was cut up and used as bait for shore fishing that night :wink:

After almost 30 years I'm still quite sorry we killed it.... we were all using 3-prong pole spears, and despite trying to "fend-off" the moray using the sides of the spear, he'd stop for a moment, but he kept coming... we did not see an alternative other than surrendering the fish on the stringer, or possibly getting bitten.

Looking back, I really wish I would have just given the moray the fish; but I was 19, we were camping, and the fish were for dinner :D

Best wishes.

EDIT: As far as eating a moray??? I actually don't know what toxicity risks there are, but as with many reef fish I'd want to learn if Ciguatera poisoning is possible (I do believe it is a possibility with morays). There are better fish to eat :wink:

Last edited:
you should not molest the marine life......

If you stuck you hand in the face of a cougar and got bitten would you feel that you had been attacked?

DM's sticking theirs hands in holes for octopus?

I always assume that people have common sense but I'm frequently wrong.

Common sense is not very common.

Dee Scarr used to advocate petting moray eels (in the wild) in her books, but I don't know if she still does. Personally I find morays the most beautiful creatures under the sea.

I only know one person who ever got bitten by a moray, but that was after hauling it up on the end of a fishing line.

I have always found them very docile creatures. The spotted ones I will play around with, but I am not brave enough to try and interact with a green moray. They are supposed to swim out and about at night (hunting), although I have never actually seen that myself.

I had a big one escaping some other divers on a night dive swim right under me last month. Too close for my comfort. NO WAY I'D EVER TOUCH ONE!

Dee Scarr.....I have always found them very docile creatures. The spotted ones I will play around with, but I am not brave enough to try and interact with a green moray. They are supposed to swim out and about at night (hunting), although I have never actually seen that myself.

My experience with morays here in Hawaii 99.9% of the time is the same as yours. They are typically passive, and if even aware of me are symply ignoring me. If I get close ( a few feet ) they will often withdraw into the coral. But I generally try to give them their space so as not to bother them; same as with turtles.

I see eels almost every dive, often several eels per dive. I will occasionally see them free-swimming during the day time, but this is almost always a short move from one "hole" to another it seems.

At night? They do seem to be "out and about" a bit more. Maybe that is when they hunt?? I have no idea.

Best wishes.

EDIT: On the night Manta dive in Kona, it is pretty normal for the divers to get "inspected" by free-swimming eels. Often the diver does not even know they had an eel swim between their legs, across their BC and over their shoulders. My 11 year old son had one swim across his thighs during the night Manta dive a couple years ago. He thought it was "cool" :D

They are nocturnal hunters but will also not pass up a day time snack..Most have a keen sense of smell and can detect vibrations in the water.I suspect thier limited vision is not a factor at night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom