More white balance questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bouyant1,

On your last point, you can only change WB setting in one of the pmodes or scenic modes (if the a80 has them, can't remember). You realy should forget that the camera has an auto mode you never use it underwater. The P-mode is like auto but gives you the ability to turn flash on/off, exposure +/- and wb settings. If you are taking macro style shots, i.e. full frame, the cameras wb settings are pretty much overridden by the flash. If you are doing reef scenics then adjust the white ballance, as has already been described, and leave the flash off.

Good luck, don't be too disapointed if your results aren't what you expected. It takes lots of practice. Stick to the basics, get close use a flash and make sure you have proper focus lock.

OK...back from what ended up being only two dives in Key Largo (thanks to the nasty wind yeaterday!)

Camera performed wonderfully! I got a few tips from KeyLargoBrent (who I had to opportunity to dive with! great guy, I highly recommend Blue Water Divers!!)

The pics were much better then expected, but not Steven Frink quality hahaha! I think with a little adjustments here and there they could be great actually!

I'll be playing around with them, and try to post some this week!

Thanks for everyone's help!

If you switch back to "Auto" from "Custom" white balance, then the camera will keep re-evaluating the white balance. Note, ifyou use a Custom white balance, then you may have to reset it as your depth changes. Sometimes the "Fluorescent Light" white balance setting can help and you've got two of those.

Here's a link to your camera on a site which evaluates digital cameras. I find their reviews superior to the manual provided by most manufacturers:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S80/S80A.HTM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom