Most reliable air tight mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll echo what everyone else said. Fit is KING. With that said, I have been impressed with my atomic aquatics mask. To me they have the softest / best feeling skirt and really mold to my face. YMMV. I also recently picked up a cheap HOG mask. While it does work and doesn't leak any more than my atomic, it isn't nearly as comfortable.

Find a lds that knows how a mask should fit. I'm freshly certified as of Oct 16th. The first dive shop I went to prior to class the guy really didn't seem to know anything about fitting masks. So i went to another shop on the other side of town and the lady who was working was very knowledgeable. Out of the 30 somthing masks on the wall she looked at my face and said don't bother looking at anything but these three. Somthing about how wide the corner of my eyes were. So only the wide and tall masks would fit right. Had no problems in the water other than the occasional leaking due to my mustache.

Last edited:
A completely 100% water tight mask has never been made. I always put a little water in my mask on purpose. Which with the Atomic Frameless, for me, one of the few masks that I intentionally have to lift the skirt a little to get some water in it. N

Why would you intentionally put water in your mask?
A completely 100% water tight mask has never been made. I always put a little water in my mask on purpose. Which with the Atomic Frameless, for me, one of the few masks that I intentionally have to lift the skirt a little to get some water in it. N

I did it when I believed that all masks would leak a little. I'd use it to defog. I was so stupid in the beginning. I just thought expensive meant better. Spent over a grand on masks looking for one that fit right. Ended up walking into an LDS that I'd never been in, looking into another brand. The lady that helped me looked at my face, handed me a Deep See Clarity, cheapest mask in the store. It's been perfect through several hundred dives now. I get some funny looks. Dual A700s and a cheap mask. But if it works and it's stupid, it's not stupid.

Try on your mask with a regulator or snorkel in your mouth, that does make a difference in how they fit under your nose.

I have 2 masks that fit me well, one was almost $100, one was $5 used. Go figure.

Don't over tighten the strap. Tight is counter productive. Descending will cause pressure to seal the mask, blowing out will create positive pressure in the mask that keeps water out. The strap really should be about preventing mask from floating away (well a little tighter than that). Clear versus black, clear masks allow more light, if you are prone to claustrophobia clear is a better choice. As others said, it all about fit.

Because I use the water to rinse it and I like being wet. N

I've got chubby cheeks and deep smile lines. (see avatar! :wink:) I'm now on mask #5.

#1 Oceanic OceanVu - went through all my OW dives and pool work with it. $100 Leaked. Exchanged for
#2 Oceanic Shadow - leaked like a sieve. $100 Exchanged for
#3 HOG Tech mask - leaked only a little, much better than the others. $50. Kept to have as a backup.
#4 AquaLung Micro mask - leaked a fair bit. $100. Exchanged for
#5 HOG Stealth 2 mask - got it today. $40. Took my snorkel with me to DRIS to see how having snorkel/reg in my mouth changed the shape of my face. Shop also gave me a bit of silicone grease to try to see if that helps any. Worth a try.

Will try #5 in the pool next Saturday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom