Most Secure Knot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maxpcf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

I'll be doing some SM diving off a boat with my LP 120s and was wondering which knot you use/think is most secure for connecting the valve to the bolt snap. The last thing I want is the knot coming undone boarding/jumping off the boat.

For what it matters I am using 110 lb paracord.

I'm talking about this attachment
smstagetop.JPG

Thanks,
Max

You're good.

The pic is what the Big Boys gave me. Two simple overhand knots. Notice how the inbound one is starting to capsize from hitting the water. But it won't go much farther. No way it will get to the second knot.

So, if you are really into knots then you need two books:
1) The Ashley Book of Knots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2) The Morrow Guide to Knots: for Sailing, Fishing, Camping, Climbing: Mario Bigon, Guido Regazzoni, Kennie Lyman, Maria Piotrowska: 9780688012267: Amazon.com: Books

The first one should be in your library where everybody can see it, and the second one should be in your dive bag.
You can also add a second loop of cave line that is longer than the controlling loop. That way you have both a belt and suspenders. Another dive shop rigged me up that way.

How about a grapevine knot as the outside knot then adjust the length with a simple overhand knot?

Attachments

• SidemountKnot.jpg
    SidemountKnot.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 119
Fishermans knot, choke it through the bolt snap, choke it around the valve. Don't use paracord, it sucks, and it stretches.

Last edited:
Thank you all; if not paracord anyone have a specific brand of line to recommend?

Braided - The Fish Net Company LLC

Either pick something big or just buy a few feet from your LDS. Now, be aware that braided nylon will stretch too.

I like it because I also use it for my wreck reel. Or you can get heavy artillery grade from these guys: SHERRILLtree | Bullseye 50/50 Throwline 2.5mm | SHERRILLtree
That is a really nice line, I use it for a lot of things including depth sounding.

As an aside, a piece of N. Fla. gold line as a back-up is nice too. All the shops have it.

Back
Top Bottom