Mounting Sherwood retractable compass on wrist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laikabear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

When I did my AOW class, my instructor picked out a special-order compass for me that wasn't available in the shop. It was the Sherwood compass on a retractor. He said it would also come with a wrist mount and I could choose between them.

Well, this was the compass order from hell - it took the shop 6 weeks and multiple snafus to finally get the compass in. When I received it, it had no box or instructions or anything, it was just the compass on a retractor in a shipping box with packing peanuts. I love the compass, but I am not loving the retractor. It's nice but just too bulky.

I took the compass off the retractor today and I realized I don't think it can be mounted on my wrist. I have a DSS bungee mount for a computer or compass or what-have-you, but the Sherwood compass has prongs on the back that don't seem to come off, and they prevent it from seating in the bungee mount.

Am I SOL as far as mounting it on my wrist?

This is the compass I'm talking about.

Can the "prongs" be filed off? At least you knew better than your (xxxxxx) instructor and got rid of the stupid retractor.

I guess I could cut them off. I was hoping for something that would not damage the compass so it truly could be used both ways. I liked the idea of the retractor, but in practice, it about doubles the size of the compass and it's just bulky and not as elegant as I'd thought. I am trying to streamline, I hate feeling like a Christmas tree, but compasses are very needed for local diving here.

Maybe I'll use it on the retractor a little longer till I'm SURE I can't stand it before doing something irreversible. :) I'm worried it will be harder to use on a wrist mount and I'll wish for the retractor again. You know, grass always greener and so forth.

Maybe I'll use it on the retractor a little longer till I'm SURE I can't stand it before doing something irreversible.

Okay, imagine using you wrist watch on a retractor and trying to, say, make coffee in the morning while looking at it because you are running late.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom