Moving to Raleigh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heelsfaninpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good evening everyone!
Well, in two weeks I will be moving back to North Carolina. I haven't lived in Carolina since I was 18 and went off to serve my country in the US Navy. I've worked hard for the last few years and finally found a great job in Raleigh.

However, now that I am a diver, I need to find a place to dive. I am currently living in Pennsylvania and I dive Dutch Springs quite often (annual membership). I am also familiar with the NC coast including Wilmington and Morehead City. Unfortunately, it looks like the end of the dive season and I'll have to wait until Spring to do some ocean diving.

So, the question is...Are there any local lakes/quarries around the Raleigh area where I can dive?

I have looked up Fantasy Lake Scuba Park and it looks like a decent quarry. Are there any others? Are there any buddy boards where you can hook up with a dive buddy? Being new to the area, I would like to make dive 'friends' in a hurry.

Looks like my new LDS will by Gypsy Divers. If anyone is familiar with them, a little personal info would be great.

i know what herman said in the pm, so see you there & welcome!

BabyDuck, thanks and I cant wait to get there. Look forward to meeting you.

oh, and when you meet packman, there's nothing he loves better than a hearty 'go heels!' and big bear hug...

Hi Heels, welcome back. I was born here and ultimately keep moving back every few years cuz I love the coast. I am an instructor at Gypsy. Dave Farrar is a straight up guy and you should get to know him. 1st class operation. Airtech is on site and is a first class op for getting equipment serviced. Gypsy has their own on site pool.

You can dive the coast year round as both Olympus and Discovery (and others) keep going all the time. Of course the air temps and water temps may be an issue.

Yep, Fantasy Lake is pretty much it for Raleigh. Nothing wrong with it at all. Not too far away is Lake Rawlings just over the Virginia line about 1.25 hours away. Great place. You've got Blue Stone in the west part of the state also.

oh, and when you meet packman, there's nothing he loves better than a hearty 'go heels!' and big bear hug...

BabyDuck, I can tell you that packman will be in good company. there's nothing more that i enjoy than yelling "Go Heels" randomly and for no good reason.

Go Carolina...F-Duke!

Hi Heels, welcome back. I was born here and ultimately keep moving back every few years cuz I love the coast. I am an instructor at Gypsy. Dave Farrar is a straight up guy and you should get to know him. 1st class operation. Airtech is on site and is a first class op for getting equipment serviced. Gypsy has their own on site pool.

You can dive the coast year round as both Olympus and Discovery (and others) keep going all the time. Of course the air temps and water temps may be an issue.

Yep, Fantasy Lake is pretty much it for Raleigh. Nothing wrong with it at all. Not too far away is Lake Rawlings just over the Virginia line about 1.25 hours away. Great place. You've got Blue Stone in the west part of the state also.

jscott,
Thanks for the warm welcome! Its going to be really great to get back home.
One of my first stops when I get there will be to the dive shop, of course.

Hopefully I will be able to finish my divecon course because I would love to help with classes. Someday when I grow up, I'd like to be an instructor too.

Look forward to meeting you!

Hey congrats! I started my DiveCon when I lived in Atlanta and finished it at Gypsy (then quickly went on to instructor). Hey, if you want to trade e-mails just send me a private message. It would be great to meet you when you get back down here. I'd be happy to help you along if you need it and I can introduce you to the quarry. As a divecon or instructor you'll spend a lot of time there. Do you have a dry suit (making an assumption since PA is your location).

Hey congrats! I started my DiveCon when I lived in Atlanta and finished it at Gypsy (then quickly went on to instructor). Hey, if you want to trade e-mails just send me a private message. It would be great to meet you when you get back down here. I'd be happy to help you along if you need it and I can introduce you to the quarry. As a divecon or instructor you'll spend a lot of time there. Do you have a dry suit (making an assumption since PA is your location).

jscott,
Thank you for the offer and I gladly accept! I definately have a drysuit. The quarries up here are cold even in the summer.

I will send a pm with my email in just a minute.

This time next week, I will be in Carolina for good!

Have a great day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom