Must Get Equipment and Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with pretty much everything runsongas says, other than the Hog regs. While the Hogs may seem like a good choice initially, the cost of service with them is (in my opinion) just ridiculous. With tax just the service kits themselves are $60+ with tax, not including any labor.
The kits for the Apeks regs (which do breathe a lot better than the Hogs BTW) are a lot cheaper. Scubapro with the parts for life certainly will compare nicely too.

As to the BP/W not needing a chest strap, that's a very good point. Also the harness of the Hogarthian harness is V-shaped which does help to move the straps away from the chest area.

Breaking in a BC? I don't buy that at all. The material shouldn't stretch with use.

scubapro only does parts for life if you buy a full package (regs/bc/computer?) from them now i believe, so you are spending a lot more money up front to qualify. for hog, you will spend a lot less money by just selling them than trying to get them serviced and replacing with a new set the next black friday sale rolls around. apeks service kits aren't cheaper than hog (38ish for first, 18ish for a 2nd), but they do qualify for a parts for life program. it still would take a long time to break even compared to saving 300+ dollars upfront with the hog regs though.

..... I am told I can test it out in the pool but only after I buy it.

That isn't trying it then is it? You have bought it and are being given the opportunity to see if you want to eBay it.

.....The reason for the interest in the lady hawk are

1- Back inflate... I think I need that
2- The person who trained me in my open water - he spend the most time with me - based on my "complaints"/needs (LOL) seems to suggest that
3- I love the placements/buttons on that vest

I know these are stupid reasons

Good you will not feel quite so stupid if you change your mind :D Seriously if you really like it and it fits well ok. Oh and no you shouldn't need to "break in" a BC - you're thinking of leather shoes. Sounds like sales BS to me.

Their suggestions are:

1- MK17/S600 (first stage/second stage) - MK17 (diaphram) is a sealed reg so told should work better esp in cold water
2- R095 (Octo)
Both of these are $800 Canadian = $601 US

3- Gauge Console (don't remember name) - standard one
$200 Can = $150 US

No argument there.

....4-Galileo Luna Wrist Dive Watch (not including the transmitter) - the person who works there swears by this watch - apparently it can read how much air you have/it has a 80% compass/nitrox reading etc etc
$1000 Can = $752 US

I would buy the Suunto (and I wouldn't take any notice of a shop employee). Suunto is $439CAN https://diveidc.com/gear/dive-computers/suunto-vyper-wrist-computer/

That shop also sell the Apeks regs https://diveidc.com/gear/regulators/apeks-atx40-regulator-set-with-2-gauge-console/ which is a 200 bucks saving from your 1000 ScubaPro set. I would personally buy a DIN fitting not the yoke as well.

.... (no Air 2 -

Good definitely no AIR2.

....For my night dive, I was told I need three lights - one on the back of the air tank (I don't remember price but it was inexpensive), a back up light and a regular light - those seem to run around $200+. The owner said a Sola Light & Motion was great if I could budget for it (both spot/wide light) + could place it on hand. The Sola lights are pretty expensive - I light the idea of a spot light (easier to navigate at night - light will shine through the sea particles) and the wide light maybe for photography but this seems to cost as much as the regs (at least the 2000 lumen ones). I like tbone's lights in link - thought if I were to buy them - NO way I'm placing them on my mask LOL - how many lumens are those? Realistically is 500-1000 lumens enough?

What? OK first off the lights for the AOW should be supplied as part of the course free. Why on earth buy all that lighting if you never use them again? Really I think this shop is just ripping you off. Certainly for the AOW you don't need three lights - that is just plain nonsense. A chemical light stick to mark your tank and a basic torch is fine. The UK Q40 would get you through the course and sit in a BC pocket as a little torch for looking into holes in reefs and so on. I can see that in your country for 50 bucks. Uk Mini Q40 Xenon Dive Light For Sale Online in Canada

....Lastly - this part is going to be annoying as I can google it - but since I am posting about all my equips, might as well give it a shot. Sorry if I bother anyone here. During my Open Water Dive - I tried on a 7mm websuit and I hated it with a passion!!! It was stiff, unbelievable hard to move into, was too tight in all the right parts!!! If I ever attempt a cold water dive - I will most likely invest in a dry suit. ...

Good, a dry suit is a good idea. If you fancy all those lovely lakes there are in Canada then you will need one!

Enjoy your diving. Take it easy on the buying everything in sight - spend the money diving and getting to know what you want to do, lake, sea, wreck, reef, marine life - hey how about ice diving? Until you begin to decide what you want to do hold off on those purchases.

Last edited:
drysuit-good idea.
chest strap-bad idea. If you're going to end up in a drysuit, you're really going to want a bp/w. Promise. No matter what the shop says. Think about the packages this way, they are still making money with all of those discounts, so how much is their markup? about 100%.

Do you ever get to Toronto or Chicago? If you do, I would recommend talking to either Dans Dive Shop *Toronto* or Dive Right in Scuba *Chicago* and get in there. Sounds like your dive shop is pushing you to standard gear that isn't really in your best interest right now. Either of those shops will steer you in the right direction.

... If you're going to end up in a drysuit, you're really going to want a bp/w. Promise. No matter what the shop says. ....

I think, to be 100% fair a stab jacket is OK with a drysuit. I use (and much prefer) a wing system. Women's chests are often problematic it would appear with stab jackets. My wife certainly prefers a wing type set up and for an all round system I rather like the Dive-Rite Transpac. You can move to a plate later with the Transplate and keep the wing. There are different wings to suit single and double tank diving. They sell well secondhand if you don't like it or want to move on. (You can cut the bungees off the Recwing if you want to go DIR too..) Once again it is a matter of trying it on with full kit and ideally having a dive or two with a rented one.

So many divers rush into buying gear so very soon and end up changing it all so quickly. Fair enough, someone has to support the kit industry, but I would take my time and recommend anyone else to do the same.

You are paying more for stuff than i would. Are you saying you already paid almost $400 for a mask and fins ? I'm thinking the salespeople saw you coming. Remember that the color of an item really is the least important thing as opposed to fit and functionality. It is your money.

I would not be buying top-end super expensive stuff like a $1000 dollar dive computer at your stage. Stay basic for a bit. Get some more dives and experience under your belt before you spend all your money on Cadillac equipment you might not really ever fully use. Wow. Basic stuff will serve you well for quite awhile as you progress. Great internet sales right now. Example; good wrist computers can be had at about $200 bucks. I just got a Suunto Zoop I like for about $200. Does everything a recreational diver needs. Good LED lite DGX 600? for 50$ ish at dive gear express. HOG regulator packages can be had at reasonable prices - search Jim Lapenta on this site.

I would say if you want your gear buy it. Just do your reasearch on what you want and see if you can try it first! I looked around and decide that I wanted AquaLung gear so I reasearched the features that I wanted and came up with a list of the specific items. My LDS is an Aqualung dealer and I had decided on the gear I wanted before I talked to them about it so there was no preasure or suggestive selling from them.They made sure I got to use the equipment I was considering on an open water dive before I commited to buying it (they had the equipment in their rental gear). When I commited to it I checked around on pricing and went to them with a number I was willing to pay. They quoted me the pricing before I told them what I was willing to pay and to my suprise it was $50 less than my number. That said I bought a more upper mid tier setup and shouldn't have to replace it for quite a few years. I already had my mask snorkel and fins and was waiting to lose a few more pounds before I get a wetsuit.

I got the following items:

Aqualung Axiom BCD
Aqualung Legend Regulator and Octo (Yoke)
Suunto Cobra3 with quick disconnect and usb cable (I could have gotten the Zoop for much less but the Cobra is my complete console)
Total for all $2046 US ($408 lower than list)

Maybe I am bragging a little on my LDS but they treat me right and understand that I try to get the best deal I can. I found 2 Catalina Al80 tanks on craig's list here for $100 each they were current in Hydro but not VIP so I took them to the shop and they did it for me and refused to charge for it because I had bought the gear from them (saved me another 36 bucks). I am thrilled with my gear and can't wait to get back in the water.:cool2:

If you are going to be traveling with your gear, you need to take into account weight. I absolutely love my Hollis F1's, but they are heavy, too heavy. I'm going through my warm water gear to see what I should take or rent when I'm in Oahu soon. Unfortunately, I can't get around the weight/bulk of my underwater housing for my DSLR (yes, there are some great smaller/lighter options that produce images, but after I've invested that much money, I just suck it up when I travel). My hopes is to get everything in one suitcase and two pieces of carry-on in this next trip. Since I'll only be diving, I'm taking the pure minimum of clothes.

In terms of fins, I think you made a great purchase. I don't have a pair, but they are quite light and you can frog kick/back fin/do helicopter turns..

And no need to apologize for your long posts. Many of us are quite passionate about diving, and we want to help people get started and hooked like we all are. So ask (and type) away!

Being so new, I'd suggest renting everything you can on this first trip. Get some experience with equipment, see what people like, don't like, figure out what you want to do long term. Then look at purchasing.

Select an LDS that allows you to try items in a pool before purchasing. That's how I wound up getting my Xdeep Ghost. Also, if you decide to save up to buy a lot at once, you'll get better discounts. Many LDS's will match internet pricing as well, just not the sales tax.

The only thing you may want to buy sooner than later is your wet suit, so you find one that fits you well. I'd only suggest a 5 mm for supporting more dive locations (such as the cenotes in the Yucatan). But that depends on if/how easily you get cold. Now I've only been in 84 degree water in it. There are warmer places out there, just haven't been yet. I was quite comfortable. It was a bit chilly in water in the mid 60's (when I was about 100 fsw in the Aegean), but I managed as I had a hood. Mid to lower 70's (cenotes) would get chilly towards the end of the second dive if both were long. I only have one wetsuit btw.

When it comes to getting equipment that require service, regulators in particular, be sure that you get something that is easily serviced in different places, as not all of them are.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the world of diving. Hope to see you under the surface.

Last edited:
Lastly - this part is going to be annoying as I can google it - but since I am posting about all my equips, might as well give it a shot. Sorry if I bother anyone here. During my Open Water Dive - I tried on a 7mm websuit and I hated it with a passion!!! It was stiff, unbelievable hard to move into, was too tight in all the right parts!!! If I ever attempt a cold water dive - I will most likely invest in a dry suit. On another note - I do need a 3mm websuit for warm water - they owner let me try a 3mm super stretch Tilos websuit (about $229 Can = $172 US) because he knew how much I "loved" websuits - Crazy enough... I actually LOVED those - but unfortunately it went a little too deep into a certain region and the larger sized one was too big around my abdominal area - they had other wetsuit models there but I am kind of in love with the super stretchy ones. Anything on the market that is super stretchy or lady friendly? I am aware of skin suits - but they don't provide much insulation.

What's your cold tolerance? 3mm could be an overkill for Bonaire. Or not.

ONeill has "tall" sizes in their line and the X/Y suits, e.g. 3/2 where you have 3mm around the core and 2mm arms/legs for better stretch and ease of movement. My wife ended up with an ONeill that's only slightly loose around the midsection -- after trying on a couple of those "too deep" ones. The other option is separate pants and top, if all else fails.

Also, I wouldn't buy a luna especially if you aren't getting a transmitter at that price. For tht money I'd buy a $150 puck from LP and an extra dive trip.

Disclaimer: I have only been diving for 1 year and only have 60-something dives under my belt, so take my thoughts with whatever size grain of salt you think is appropriate.

Dive Gear Express (aka DGX - https://www.divegearexpress.com/) is an awesome vendor with a pretty much unbeatable return policy. I.e. they will basically take anything back, forever. Don't take my word for it. Go to their website and read their policy yourself. Call and talk to them. Also, they have as good prices as pretty much anyone.

The DGX600 light is awesome. And only $50, including a decent battery and a charger. https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-600-handheld-light Get 2 for $100 and their Tenergy battery/charger set for $16 and you'll have everything you need for night diving - a light, a backup light, and enough batteries for both lights for 2 night dives (really, more than enough since you wouldn't normally use your backup light, so you wouldn't normally need to change the battery in it between dives). Note that DGX only claims 600 lumens output for these lights, but they are the same LED emitter as many other lights that claim 1000 lumen output. And that LED emitter is rated for just over 1000 lumens max raw output. In other words, the DGX rating is probably actually fairly accurate and most of those other lights that claim 1000 lumens and also use the CREE XM-L2 U2 LED are not actually delivering what they claim.

DGX also has pretty much everything you would possibly need for gear, except maybe wetsuits. They have a back plate and wing setup that would work for warm water diving and it's only $299. https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-custom-singles-harness-backplate-wing-package Note that the wing in this package is identical to and made in the same factory as the Dive Rite Travel EXP wing. I have a Deep Sea Supply back plate and wing, myself, which has already been recommended. It is nice. But, I got mine used for $35. If I had to buy a new one, I would not spend $500 for one over the $300 rig from DGX. Actually, I also have a Hog 23# wing which DRiS just had on Black Friday sale for $150. If I had to buy a new rig for warm water, I would get another Hog 23# wing and a Hog back plate (were just selling for $60 for an aluminum plate) or DGX back plate. That is, if those items can still be had for something like those sale prices.

For regulators, Dive Right In Scuba has the Hollis DC3 + 212 regulator set on sale for $199. If you buy two of those, you'll have what you need (less a pressure gauge) plus a spare 1st stage left over (advantages already noted by tbone). And for $400!! DC3-212 - Dive Right in Scuba Many people on here will poo poo this reg set, but it is a sealed diaphragm 1st stage and a fully adjustable, pneumatically balanced second stage. I have this exact set for my single tank diving and I have Dive Rite XT1 and XT2 reg sets for my double tank diving. My experience is that the Hollis regs breathe just slightly easier. Barely noticeable but enough for me to say that the Hollis work at least as well - for me, anyway. I've had my Hollis regs for almost exactly one year now and have somewhere roughly around 50 dives with them and I have no regrets on buying them whatsoever. If they had the option to route a Low Pressure hose out the bottom of the 1st stage, at that price, I would have bought another pair of them to use for doubles diving.

Note that if you get the Hollis regs from DRiS, they are DIN and you'll want to get a DIN-to-yoke adapter to be SURE you have no troubles using them in Bonaire or wherever you go. DGX sells those for $20. https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-din-to-yoke-spin-on-adapter I have one but with 16 dives between Riviera Maya, Mexico, and Hawaii, I don't think I've ever had to use it. I haven't been a lot of places, but they've pretty much all had convertible (i.e. DIN or add an insert to the valve to use yoke) valves.

Regarding wetsuits, Coral Edge Adventures (http://shop.coraledgeadventures.com/) has a bunch of different brands and models of wetsuits on closeout. I got my ScubaPro 3/2 EverFlex for $160 and SP EF 7/5 for $180. Both suits are higher end ScubaPro models that normally sell for quite a lot more but CEA has stock that is 2 or 3 years old (but still new) that they bought and are blowing out. They have Bare and WaterProof (both also top-notch brands for wetsuits) suits in some models for similar prices. They happen to be local to me, so I was able to go in and try suits on. I have bought a bunch of gear there and they have always done great by me.

Many people will say it's a dumb idea, but for a computer, I have an Oceanic Atom 3.0, with wireless air integration. I also have a Shearwater Petrel 2. I bought the Atom first and have no regrets on that, either. The wireless pressure gauge has worked flawlessly for me. I think it's a lot nicer than anything you'll get for $250 or less (meaning it is more money, but I have felt like it was worth it, to me). It has gauge mode and so even though I've moved on to starting to do tech diving, I still use the Atom as my backup for tech dives. And I definitely like the Atom better than the Petrel for recreational dives. My eyes are old and getting weak so I have gauge reader lenses in my masks. With those, I have never had any trouble reading the Atom. And it's a very nice size on my wrist. The Petrel is more like a brick and I find it often annoying - particularly any time I try to reach my arm into a hole or between things. The Petrel is the clear choice for using on deco dives. But, I definitely prefer the smaller, wristwatch size computer for recreational (i.e. no decompression stops) dives. LeisurePro lists the Atom 3.1 full kit at $900. I paid a lot less than that for mine, 1 year ago. If you are a little patient and shop around, you can probably do the same.

Lastly, a note about weight of gear and traveling. I already saw at least one comment having an eye towards getting lighter weight gear for traveling. Maybe you need that or maybe you don't. I packed my regs, stainless steel back plate, wing, mask, computers and 3mm full wetsuit in my carry-on suitcase when I flew to Mexico and to Hawaii. Being in my carry-on, the weight was irrelevant to the airlines. I only had to pack my fins and miscellaneous stuff in a checked back to have everything I needed in order to dive, with only renting my tanks. If you get an integrated BCD, you might not be able to fit all the same stuff in a carry-on bag, but even then it shouldn't make much difference to your weight limit for your checked luggage. All that said, I've seen some posts here that some airlines do actually weigh your carry-on bag. I've never seen that happen to anyone, and I don't know what airlines do it. Nor, for those airlines, do I know what their weight limit would be for a carry-on. If it's the same 50 # limit most use for checked bags, I think I'd still be okay - even with my 6# SS BP in there. The overall carry-on bag size just isn't THAT big.

Let's see:

$116 - DGX Lights plus batteries and chargers
$160 - 3/2 mm wetsuit
$400 - Hollis reg set
$300 - DGX back plate and wing
$145 - DR XT fins
$900 - Oceanic Atom 3.1 computer with wireless AI transmitter (your pressure gauge, so you don't need to buy a physical SPG) and data cable

$2021 (more or less) and you would be ready to dive (assuming you already have a mask)

Good luck with your shopping and your diving!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom