My Bouyancy solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has already passed the pool test, but the salt concentration is much lower than it is in the open ocean, which will change the buoyancy. Currently I'm just slightly negative in the pool, so it should be fairly close... Also, need some depth to verify the calculations on resisting crushing.

Vic

Just got back from our trip to the FL keys. Didn't get to do all the diving we had planned due to waves being a bit larger than my liking when trying to get on and off the boat with video gear. The dives we did do in Key West had visability of about 40 ft, and the reef was in pretty poor shape. On the upside, I did finally get to do a "sea trial" on my float that I had built for my video housing (see picture in OP). It was about as perfect as I could hope for. I had it down to just over 90 ft, with no visible deformation, and the buoyance was just slightly negative, so the rig would slowly sink if I let go, and stay upright. One thing that I notice is that even with the float located just above the center of gravity of the housing and light combo, it takes some effort to shoot up or down. The camera likes to stay level, and pans easily horizontally. I would think that the folks that mount the floats to the light heads would really notice a bigger effort required for the up and down shots due to the distance from the center of gravity, so please sound off with your findings.

On another note, I did have about 1 tablespoon of water seep into one of the light heads, so I'm going to replace the O-rings, and hopefully no permanent damage occured. Does anyone out there have a set of these old lights (made by Amphibico) they are parting out, and would be interested in selling one, or both of the light heads as spare parts?

Thanks
Vic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom