My new cavern helmet..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doby45

Do I have something in my teeth?
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
As I am a bit of a DIYer and I have gotten some good ideas on this forum, I figured I would share my sexy helmet. I am going to the ScubaBoard's 2016 Fool's Spring Megadive the last weekend of March down at Ginnie Springs with a bunch of the other Scubaboarders and I plan to do the ballroom, the Blue Grotto, Devils Den and so forth. So I figured I would get up in the attic today and get my tent out to set it up and air it out.. Low and behold while I am in the attic I find an old Bell bike helmet of my daughters. It is a sexy pink color so I rip the foam out and run to Home Depot and buy a $6 hard hat to get the suspension system out of it. $3 worth os SS nuts and bolts and I am headed back to the house to start the surgery.. I get the suspension system installed in it and I also put my GoPro mount on it. I am going to find me some nice holders for the back up lights and it will be good to go for the April Fools dives. Pink flames and all!!

2mzece1.jpg

Duck lips and all, that was on purpose as I sent the pic to my wife..

e122d2.jpg

Last edited:
snazzy!

only changes I would make is to use the Helmet bracket for the gopro and invert it. Will give you a better perspective under water. The other is consider putting your backup lights on there Will require some holes to be drilled, but it is a great place to mount the backup lights for easy access

tied around the mount. If for whatever reason the mount disconnects from the helmet, the bungee should hold it. Not my preferred method, since the bungee is stretchy, I prefer a piece of cave line with a bolt snap, but the intent is right

Well I did remove some of the many bendy arms on that attachment and it is in a much better position already. I don't look so much like an angler fish of some type now. Yes the bungee is there simply to prevent loss if the attachment comes loose. I could use some cave line, I never even thought of that. Thanks @tbone1004

2v33pu9.jpg

meant to actually flip the gopro upside down... Then make the gopro lens parallel to the mask lens. Works quite well and minimizes entanglement. Also gets the lens close to your eyes which is better for useful video

h3_hfm_forward.jpg

tied around the mount. If for whatever reason the mount disconnects from the helmet, the bungee should hold it. Not my preferred method, since the bungee is stretchy, I prefer a piece of cave line with a bolt snap, but the intent is right

Couldn't you just bolt it? Perhaps a little loctite. Then it won't ever come off without tools.

I don't worry about my GoPro. That mount has been on there a few years now. It's not going anywhere. Losing it would be a minor inconvenience. Now my backup lights are my life. I loop my light bungee onto the helmet bungee. I use the same mount on my hands so I can put my lights anywhere I want them.

Please be careful. TBone's look best due to the front. I have a helmet but the front is a little too long and it either hits the mask or covers part of it.With lights being heavy I was having to strain my neck to be able to see. One of the worse dives I have ever had in Cow.

Speaking of which, Tbone where did you get that helmet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom