My Nikon AW 130 died on the first dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisSG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, on a recent trip to Japan did I see the brand new compact being advertised as 30m waterproof. I have my DSLR set-up but the idea of having a "pocket-able" camera when leading groups and not having the time or opportunity to carry my big rig around sounded great - so I went for the AW 130.

Swimming pool tests worked great but on the first dive after 5-10 meter did it flood completely... here are some pics. Warranty will be a nightmare for me as I don't speak Japanese and sending it back and forth will probably cost half as much as a new one... long story short: You have been warned.

IMG_0535.jpgIMG_0518.jpg

As much as I am a fan of Nikon cameras for Point and Shoot types I prefer Canon and their UW D30 is pretty good.

Canon PowerShot D30 | Canon Online Store

I have taken it (mistakenly) to 32M and it performs well.

Yes... I have several friends using the Canon for a year now and it is extremely popular with new divers as it cuts your costs in half since you don't need a housing. So that was what I had in mind to buy on my trip to Tokyo and the friendly staff was raving about the new Nikon to be the companies answer to the D30... simply put: Either I got a lemon or I simply don't think it is.

Hope you get it sorted

Not a good experience with the AW130 either.

Bought it to stick in the BCD pocket, and took it with me last Saturday.

1st dive to a maximum of 13m, took a few test shots and a little video, no problems.

2nd dive to a maximum of 15m, few shots, and about halfway through the dive, when turning the camera on, greeted with the message "lens error". On and off a few times, no difference.

Got back to the dive centre, tried again and it came on long enough to see there was water in/around the lens. I opened the door of the camera, bone dry.

Straight back to Nikon that day with it and now waiting for their report. I do have warranty, the pics are date and time stamped, so I can prove the depth and runtimes were within the limitations placed by Nikon.

Well, on a recent trip to Japan did I see the brand new compact being advertised as 30m waterproof. I have my DSLR set-up but the idea of having a "pocket-able" camera when leading groups and not having the time or opportunity to carry my big rig around sounded great - so I went for the AW 130.

Swimming pool tests worked great but on the first dive after 5-10 meter did it flood completely... here are some pics. Warranty will be a nightmare for me as I don't speak Japanese and sending it back and forth will probably cost half as much as a new one... long story short: You have been warned.

View attachment 208417View attachment 208418
Unfortunately I got the same problem today. May I know how did you settle this with Nikon?

Yikes, Call it fate.... I literally just got off the phone with Nikon customer service asking about the warranty. Water damage is not covered unless the tech determines that there is a faulty seal. There are lots of reviews on Amazon stating the same thing and that the repair was not covered. I'm weighing the cool pix and the D30. Love the wifi option on the cool pix and the TG-4, but the TG-4 is rated for 60 feet.

Looks like I'm going with a D30. A lady we dove with last time had one and had taken it to 105 feet several times.

Jay

I have had good luck with mine. I have used it on several 2 tank dives this week. 1st dives are 100 ft or close to it. I'm thinking now that I posted this it will flood in the knee-deep snorkeling we are doing today...

I deal with Nikon a lot (NPS member) and what I have found over the years is that you just have to keep pushing them when you get the "tech report" you disagree with. With their DSLR's, the big non-coverage excuse is "impact damage". I'm guessing with the waterproof cameras it's "non-seal related" damage. Ask for photos and other evidence that corroborate their assessment if you disagree. This will sometimes get you a "repaired at no charge-customer accommodation" outcome.

Good luck!

I am sitting on an airplane on my way to Manila at the moment. My plan is to use my GoPro but my wife bought one of these to use while we are in Coron. Do you guys think this camera will be suitable for shallow snorkeling and use while we are island hopping or should I just plan to use the GoPro for everything?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom