Nahant, MA Beach on Friday morning Parking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I saw that Canoe Beach in Nahant MA is a possible dive spot, is there any where good to park for this beach?
I have to drop the kiddo at Logan Airport, and this seems to be closest shore dive spot.
If you dive this area please let me know.

I have not dived there, but there is some area for parking across the street near the Northeastern U Marine Science center. But you will probably have to drag your gear about 500 feet (or drop it at beach and then park).. go to google maps satellite view and you can see what I'm referring to.

... there is some area for parking across the street near the Northeastern U Marine Science center.
I don't recommend parking here, or anywhere in Nahant for that matter, unless the vehicle has a resident parking permit. Without such a permit a ticket is guaranteed, and towing is a distinct possibility - which is a severe bummer to discover after a dive. Speaking from first hand experience. To shore dive Nahant one needs to know a nearby resident with available parking space or have a non-diving friend do the drop off and subsequent pick up. Otherwise Nahant is as a boat dive.

Canoe Beach is a great shore dive as is nearby 40 Steps. It's probably been 2 years since I dove there from land but the protocol has always been to stop in the Nahant police station and ask nicely if you can park there while diving. They know the drill, people have been doing it for years.

I was never told no and usually they would give me a day parking pass or just ask my license plate number. All they asked was you stop in on the way out to let them know that you were done. To be honest I never went on busy weekends or really hot summer days when locals would be parking there so that could have helped.

They could have changed all this for all I know and not allow it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom